Help me get ideas on mounting a spot light on a fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by adamant, Sep 13, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
  2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    maybe you can run the lights off your fold down canopey ?

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Might look in the Library section, tons of info and ideas in there.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't need no light on our river. LOL! The glow from your smile is enough. LOL! October is comein! LOL!

5. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    george: i am on vacation in a bit.. i will call you, will have to hook up..
    ant

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know that I'd mount lights on a boat, except for a small night light inside the boat to rig lines with. If you talking about mounting a spotlight or headlights, I just wouldn't do it. It is a constant pain having to adjust those type of lights for the attitude of the boat in relation to the water. When you first start up, trying to get on a plane, the bow is quite how... a light would be looking for aircraft. When you get on a plain the lights have to be adjusted down to the water, and generally don't show you enough of the stuff floating in the water in time to avoid hitting it. I'd just use a hand held light if I just had to have a light. And before you do mount a light, I'd advise you to check your USCG / state rules and regulations. It may be illegal except to aid in docking the boat.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not only that, but as you hit waves, the attitude of boat will change, causing the light beam to be all over the place. If I'm jugging at night, we may have several people using spotlights to look for the jugs, but when running up or down the river, I hold one spotlight above my head, shining it where I'm going; if my arm gets tired, I'll let someone else hold the light, but that's never quite as good.

8. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
  9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I do what Jerry does with a hand held spotlight.
    Bill

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Anthony I didn't need a spotlight to be able to see 2 miles just a few 100ft so I mounted a tractor work light with a spotblub in it on a 3ft peice of 3/4 EMT conduit and mounted the EMT next to the motor control using 2 conduit clamps.It didn't cost much and makes all the light I need.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i use a hand held spot light. if you run so fast you have to use both hands at night, it'd best be light enough to see without it. :smile2: if you want a light to use when anchored or tied up, maybe can do like i did in my jon boat. fastend a pvc pipe to side of seat. took a chunk of 1/2 inch pipe and bent top so looks like a cane handle kinda and put hook on it. could hang lantern, chem lite or what ever i wanted on it.
    gary

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I did something like what bad karma did. I have a little 12' boat and I didn't want to spend much. All it really cost me was about 15 dollars for the tractor flood light. I drew a little diagram of what I did. Remember, you want the handle in a comfortable position so it isn't awkward while you drive. Oh, I also had it wired with gator clips so I could disconnect and take it down when I wasn't using it.
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I recently set-up a light for night fishing on my boat. I mounted a stern light socket on the front deck, pulled the light off of a 4 ft stern light and mounted a 5" round tractor light in its place. Mine faces the rear and is wired to a switch on my dash so I can flip it on for tying rigs, unhooking fish, etc. It stows away when not in use. Might work for you, but facing forward.