Help Me Get Em

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blue Bruiser, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys, I am pretty much to new to flatties, and need some advice.
    I have some property in a resort type deal that has a couple good sized lakes in it. Last week I witnessed conservation shock up 5 flatheads over 50 pounds in the lake that my property sits on.
    I have never fished this lake. I have never fished for flatheads in a lake either.
    Can anyone give me some suggestions on how I should rig up and fish them.
    I have found some pretty good cover, including a few old beaver dams and such. I just need tips on riggin up for them.
    I have always been a big river, big blue kinda guy, so any help is appreciated.

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use live bait blue gills and creek chubs,also try gold fish. You can rig them a number or ways, try a few out and see what works best. Good luck.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep,
    Try and float some Live bait to them!!
    Sounds like you may need some heavier tackle for those big ones!!

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Live Bluegills on floats will get their attention. Try fishing lakes at night. :cool2:

5. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would advise you to find a flate the runs up to the bank, something about 5 to 10 feet with some structure on the bottom. then use the other guys tecnique with floats but go one better and double hook your line and run a small onion sack of liver or blood about your bream, this gives a blood sent and live bait in one.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Fish nights and early mornings close to the bank. I prefer 60+ lb Braid Line but have caught them on 30lb. Try using live and freshly cut baits that are indigenous to the lake. Such as Shad, Bluegill, Bullhead and Carp. Crawfish are good too. I fish on bottom but some prefer a foot off or higher. Be prepared to sit and be patient.

7. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    Try live bait near some cover. I normally keep the bait 5 to 10 feet off the bottom. I normally use a 3 foot leader with a 3 oz bank sinker.