Help Me Fit Out My New Boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DWB, Jun 12, 2008.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK, so some of you know already, I sold my Great Lakes battle ax of a boat (an 18ft Lund Deep V) in favor of something more appropriate for my new home here in Missouri.

I purchased a 14ft 48" wide Alweld Jon boat. My rationale on this choice was that it was the biggest boat that I could pick up and get into the back of my truck. That is right--no more trailors. I wanted a boat that I could slip into some of our smaller rivers and backwaters, yet still big enough that I could bring it onto the big rivers when the itch strikes me. I think I have that in my new 1448. It just barely squeezes into the back of my truck width wise but is wide enough to be a pretty stable platform for my big clumsy frame.

So what next? I'm interested in hearing how members think I should fit my boat out for optimal fishing in our area. Obviously I'm gonna need something to power it. Again size matters here since I'm gonna be lugging it around. Right now I have my eye on a 9.9 hp Mercury 2-stroke what are your thoughts? What else? Anchoring gear, rod holders, lights, spray in bed liner....lets here your thoughts.

My goal is to keep this boat as clutter free as possible yet have all of the essentials to tackle most all of our local waters.

2. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    With no trailer I would skip the extra weight with the spray-in bedliner.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i am a mercury fan thru and thru but yamaha still offers a 2 strke 25 hp that is light enough to be considered portable.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yes they do, i bought one last summer and love it. At over 100# though, i would not wanna hafta put it on and off of the boat all the time.

My 1448 jon went about 13 mph top speed by GPS when i had an older 8hp on it, and that was with someone sitting on the bow to keep it down. With a 9.9 i hope you aren't in a hurry. My problem with it was that the bow went way up in the air and it wouldn't plane out. For me a 15hp would be minimum, but thats just me. I'm 6' 250#, so i'm not exactly small myself, which makes a big difference in how fast the boat goes.

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all of the replies so far!

WRT getting the boat up on plane...do you think a planing board would be worth checking out.

Also, has anyone heard of Boyesen reeds? I'm told that the company makes reed valves for two-stroke engines that almost double your horse power along with improving fuel economy and a number of other benefits.

I am a big dude (6-5 350#) so I know keeping the bow down will be an issue. Any suggestions?

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I don't know Dan, are you sure you went with a big enough boat??? At 6'5" and 350 pounds you're bigger than the boat bro! :crazy: No worries, I am about the same size, only I have 20 pounds on ya! I'm not sure I would want to be out on the Mississippi or Missouri rivers in something that small, I just wouldn't feel comfortable in it!

I don't mean to sound like I am discouraging your purchase, as I know you're probably very excited, I am just concerned for your safety is all. A 1448 is awefully small to be out on the Mississippi, but that is only my honest opinion.

Good luck to ya bro, be safe out there.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Look into the library area here, tons of info, and just think it out good before hand, get in it move around make sure you set your stuff where ya want it.
    If ya find any info on them reeds post it up, sounds interesting.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'd just use the KISS method. in a boat that small less is more.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I'm with Bill, I think a 1652 is about the smallest thing that I'd feel comfortable in on the Mississippi.. Them Cabin Cruisers really bounce you around out there.. Just my opinion..

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

What I didwith my last one is take out the stock seats and rebuild them as hollow storage compartments, which you simply pull the top off to gain access. I made them out of good sturdy pressure treated. Of course if you have floatation foam under the seats you may not want to go with this option. Mine didn't and it worked out great for me. I made the seats slightly taller and thus more comfortable for me, and, picked up alot of storage without taking up extra space.......just a thought.

Richard

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BOISEN REEDS I put a set in a 200 HP Merc. , Didnt double the hp of course But did gain 3 to 4 mph and a lot more throtle response all through the power band !!!also better idle ,Worth the money.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Be careful with the new "pressure treated" wood. Its treated with tons of copper and of course, copper + your aluminum boat = corrosion. It will eat your boat alive. This wasn't really an issue in years past, 'cause they used all kinds of chemicals instead of copper. Plus, if it were me, i'd leave the foam in the seats, especially if you wanna go on larger rivers. That foam keeps your boat floating should you take on water or capsize. You can hold on to the boat until you are rescued this way.

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have a 14 ft that I use with a trailer and then slide it in my pickup at other times. I use a 5 hp motor or a trolling motors when I use it in a small lake. The trolling motor is 1st on my list as it is easier to put on and off. Either way you have to put the battery or the gas engines in the boat to haul them which is kinda a pain and then put them on when you get there. But other than that it works. I also have a set of wheels that clamps on to roll it to the water if I can't get my pickup to the water. Like someone said, less is more when working out of a pickup. I use several milk cartons to hold the boating gear that the state tells me I must have. Other than that rod holders and anchors plus my fishing tackle is all I take.

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Somewhere on this great site is a thread about the planer boards. Nothing but good things said about them. Quick to get on plane and thus better gas mileage. Good luck with the boat.