Help me fish this stretch of river

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jerry60k, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Ok if this works right the link should take you to a closeup of our power plants riverbank.I am guessing the water output shown is heated water discharge.I am think the big round thing at the edge of the current created would be the best place to hit.

Give me some input also if you scroll the map following the river northwest the place I bank fish is about a mile from there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...543,-81.425316&spn=0.001749,0.003331&t=k&z=18

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would anchor out where i think the current seam of the two waters is and behind the pilon. they can be up in there too some aspecialy at night. i see some creeks that need attention around there also bro.!

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Nw of the powerplant or downstream where the big creek comes in is where I do most of my fishing.Also 90% of the time the rivers level fluctuates less than 3 ft high or low because of the barge traffic its kept at a fairly equal lvl.

4. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    Right in the white water where discharge meet's the river and right and left of it.
    Then behind mooring pylon and any pylon you can fish going downstream. Then the creek mouth then both side's of the first big downsream bend.

5. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree on the creek thing. If you've got +3 ft of water in that creek, they'll be there at night looking for food. I've caught a LOT of flatheads less than 10' from the bank in less than 6' of water. Suspend a 6"-10" bluegill on a 8/0 circle hook (bobber, bobber stop, egg sinker, bead, barrel swivel,8"-10" leader, hook) about half way down to the bottom. (6' water=suspend 2'-3') JUST downstream from a log, snag, etc. They like to lay where the current is broken up, not work so hard to ambush the target. I use the biggest THILL suspending type bobber they make. Be stealthy, don't be stomping around on the bank, throw stuff in water, campfire going, etc. And most of all, HAVE PATIENCE!! :cool2:

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Thanks guys I already fish at the mouth of the creek and there are scads of shad all year long.I am just workin out where to go by boat in the same area.I will try to get some real life pics up soon.

7. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i agree with brakeless1.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I agree with the creeks. I would hit them at night. If you are going out during the day, I would try the back side of the moorings and any deeper holes you can find. Especially if they are near that discharge.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i would also try and get close to the bank and fish one pole in 3 to 4 foot of water.

10. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think everyone has good ideals,lots of good fishing on that water.

11. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The first spot that that I would check out if I was to go there, would be the first bend just downstream of the powerplant/dam. I would look for a scour hole and hopefully some submerged structure near the transition of that hole.