Help me find some baby blues!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Salmonid, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I live about 45 Minutes North of Cinci in Ohio and am looking for a fish farm in KY that grows Blue Cats so I can get some to stock my new pond. Been checking and no one in Ohio raises them, only available from paylakes in the 7+ lb range, I want yearlings in the 4-7" range for stocking. Does anyone know of any fish farms in Northern KY or even SE Indiana that raises Blues from eggs?

Thanks
    Salmonid

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Have you checked with your states Department of Fisheries, or whatever name it goes by? The state typically stocks what it considers to be game fish. If so, you probably can get some free fingerlings. In Oklahoma, just because the State Department of Wildlife stocks your private pond does not, in itself, allow the public access to your land to fish the pond.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes, in Ohio, that program was stopped in the early 70's, and I have checked all of Ohio's aquaculture sites and the Official permits from ODNR and no one in Ohio raises them because until a few months ago they were on the endangered list, not even the state raises or stocks them. This is why Im looking in KY since they are allowed to raise them there and even take them commercially from the Ohio River. Plus all the paylakes here get them from KY. If any of them were open Id be talking to them, but under all this snow and ice, they wont be open for another 2 months.

Thanks for the idea though, I should have been more clear in my approach.

Salmonid

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mark, I'll send ya a pm of a BOC member that has a fish stocking/selling company. If he can't help ya, he may know someone that can. Vern