Help Me Find My First Catfishing Boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Blue Bruiser, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys. This new look is pretty nice. Anyway to my problem. I am going to be purchasing my first boat this year. I will begin looking here in a few weeks as soon as I get my taxes. Anyway. I am in the st louis area and I will be fishing the Missouri & Mississippi rivers heavily. I will have approximately 3000.00 to spend on my setup. What would be my best bet for the fishing I will be doing and in that price range. I was thinking 16 - 18 ft flatbottom. Is 3000.00 far fetched? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys

Bruiser

2. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Chris, welcome to the great BOC! Lots of great people here to help you with all your boating and fishing needs! Lots of good boats out there. 3000 will get you a pretty nice cat boat. If your looking to buy new with everything on it you won't find it for 3000. I like aluminum boats the best. Try looking at war eagle, g3 , sea ark.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    You could prolly get a nice jon boat for $3000.00 You might want to go out to the rivers and hit up the boat ramps. This is a good way to see what kind of boats/motors people are using on the rivers you fish. Also a good way to meet people that fish those rivers and get some tips from them. I would prolly say an 18ft jon with some high sides and a 50 horse motor would be what I would buy. With that price range you gave, you might have to buy a used motor and trailer. Nothing wrong with that.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
  5. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I just this week made a 16 foot wooden flat bottomed boat for about $2oo. It is over 5 foot wide at the gunnels and 15 inches high on the sides. I am in the same position in that I want a catting boat but have limited funds. I just bought a new 5 hp. outboard for$800 and I have a trailer, so for 1000$ I am ready to go. I am a woodworker so for me building a boat is not a big deal, but the desein is so simple I fell most men could do it. I got the plans for it from a man who built and rented them at his marina (he was not a carpenter).
    Just remember that boats are cheap , the moter is were you want to spend most of your money. You can find used boats all the time for a few hundred dollars, usually with a trailer. It is the moter that is going to cause you the most trouble if it does not bring you home ever time. Good luck.

6. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Thanks guys for responding so quickly. I have been fishing the rivers for years now but finally am ready to purchase my own boat. My partner that I have been fishing with has a 22 foot flatbottom with a 50 horse johnson. I personally think its a bit overkill but It sure is roomy. Would a 16 foot with a tiller be to small to fish 3 people? thanks for the help guys

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 16ft flat bottom. It would prolly fish 3 people but would be a little cramped up. I think for the rivers you fish an 18ft would be your best bet. You don't wanna skimp on an investment like this. If you don't have enough cash to get what you want then save up a little here and there untill you can afford exactly what you want. You will be alot happier.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bruiser, remember that any new or new used boat is always shorter when you get it home.

9. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well from the looks of things I will definately be going 18 foot. Hopefully I will be able to pick one up before spring hits. And stonemaster, thanks for the insight but I would not feel comfortable in a wood boat on either of my rivers here. Thanks guys and wish me luck on my search.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll sell you my 18ft for 7k. :) That way I can get a 22ft.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Get what you want, but keep an eye on what comes with it. Depending on what comes with it, you may need a depth finder, lifejackets, anchors, rod holders, etc. I think I put more money in stuff for my boat than the boat cost. $200 or $300 for a fish finder, a hundred in rod holders, another 50 in life jackets, flares, and other miscellaneous safety gear, 40 on an extra anchor, etc. That old saw about a boat being a hole in the water to toss money into is kind of true. Anyway, good luck with it!

Oh, yeah, and by Josh's boat (Crazy) He's threatening to get that 22' he's talking about painted orange, and I'm dyin' to see that:)

12. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey Guys. I found a 17 foot alumacraft maverick with a 45 horse mariner. It is a really nice boat very well taken care of. Do you guys think that this would be a sufficient cattin boat? I also plan to use it for crappie and such up at mark twain a few times a year also. I will include a photo of what this boat looks like. This is not the exact boat but looks exactly the same.

Attached Files:

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would say if its in your prices range go for it. Its a well made boat and you can add like things as you go this season to make it work very well for you.

14. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's a good looking rig, Blue Bruiser. Alumacraft is one of the better built boats available and, I think, 17 Ft is quite sufficient for nearly any use.

I have a wee Alumacraft 1983 skiff that's still as watertight as the day it was made and it gets used a lot.

The hull design won't pound you severely in heavy water and the engine is plenty powerful. All it does anyway, is get you to the next fishin' spot.

Check it over thoroughly. If it's been well maintained and in your price range, I'd say "Go for it". Personally, I'd ask for a test run, but that's up to you and how well you know/trust the seller.

Good Luck ...

15. Rivercat1

Rivercat1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I Think it would work just fine but if you can afford a bigger boat I would. Look around and make sure this is what you want. dont buy the first thing you see.

16. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Stonemaster ...

Where can I get boat plans similar to what you have?

I've been interested in building one the way I want for some time and, after looking around a lot, have almost decided to draw up my own.

I'm no stranger to hand work and, in fact, built two canoes when I was a teen that are still in the family and get used regularly .. that was nearly 40 years ago, so I figure a fishing boat can't be any more intricate.

If you could give me a steer, I'd be very grateful.

17. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well i am goin on a test run with him tommorrow. Didn't have time to today when I looked at cuz I was running late picking my wife up.lol
    I have been looking for weeks now and this is by far the nicest boat that I have found in my price range. I have found alot of nice jons but none with power trim and that is a must for me. The only thing I am worried about is where I will mount and how I will mount rod holders. Other than that I like it. I was just concerned of how it will handle in the missouri on choppy days.

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think alumacraft are good boats...

How wide is it? Width makes a big difference in stability, and gives you more comfort space. I fish out of a 14/48, and see where a 16/60 or 17/72 would be a lot roomier. I can really only fish two comfortably in my rig....

good luck finding your boat. There's a lot of good ones out there....

If you're still looking, trying checking the online classifieds for various newspapers that aren't too far away. Around St Louis, there should be quite a few for sale within 50-60 miles....

Regardless, I would be a lot more concerned with the condition of the trailer, hull, welding, etc than the cosmetics. You can always recarpet or repaint.

shawn

19. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    It Is 60' wide at the top. And like I said it is really well maintained. Everything is in A1 shape. Trailer, boat, motor. The man has all the reciepts for all the service he has done. And he agreed to let me take it to a boat shop and have them go through it. So I am assuming he has nothing to hide. Like I said The rod holder issue and the rough water is what I am concerned about

20. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    there are a couple of nice aluminum boats on ebay right now. just serch for jon boats. i have been looking but don't have time to go pick one up right now. i feel sure i could make a few bucks off either.