Help Me find big catfish in northern Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BigCatDreaming, May 30, 2006.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am still young to the sport of catfishing but i still can catch channels like crazy. The problem is that i live in northern illinois and I want bigger cats. Does anyone know where I can hook into some big Flatheads or Blues?

2. SPowell

SPowell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm in the same predicament that you are man. I live in the Plainfield area, and I can't seem to catch any large cats ( large to me is over 5 lbs ). I've been trying the Fox River around the Yorkville Dam, and I hear stories of biggins coming out of there, I just haven't hooked one yet. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I hear the McHenry Dam is really nice for Flatties too. I don't know of any Blues in Northern Illinois, but I may be wrong.

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd like to try the Mchenry dam. I just tryed the rock river today and was unsuccessful. If I had a boat I'd definately go out to the Fox Chain'o lakes

4. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    The Rock River is good for Flatheads and Channels.
    What helped me to catch larger fish is I started using circle hooks and cut bait. I like to use at least a 2/0 circle but also like larger ones. If you don't have one I suggest you get a castnet and get shad to use as cut bait. When I changed to the circles and cut shad a couple of years ago I went from catching 2 to 3 lb. Channels to 8 an 12 lb. fish and I am not finished yet.
    Check out the BOC library on how to use a cast net and lots more info.
    Hope this helps.

Good luck.

5. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    The Rock north of Rockford is great, the catfish caper fishing turney has a lot of fish over 10 lbs wieghted in. Also the guys south of Dixon on Rock catch a ton of Flathead over 20 lbs.. I have a boat and 4 days off a week drop me a line and we can go look for some of the bigger cats.
    Rob

6. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in northern IL, but fish in Wilmot,WI on the Fox river. I've been catching some nice 2-4 pound channels up there, but not much bigger other than a couple ugly carp when I was doing some overnight fishing a couple weeks ago.