help me find a hot spot!

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by sandgan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    im looking to go catfishing in central maybe even norhtern california. Im planning on gonig camping with a friend and was hoping to fish all night on a lake or pond. If you guys have any recommendations of spots that may produce some good catfish would be great. oh yeah this will be my first time fishing for cats and im not even sure when the best time of the year is for cali cats that would be helpful information as well. thanks for you time and knowledge.:confused2:

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: to the B.O.C. Andrew
    This is the way I look at it - no matter what anyone tells you about a Lake, Reservoir or River
    "All Fishing spot can be Hit & Miss one day & Hot Spots on another".
    A fishing spot is what you make it.
    Now don't get me wrong
    It's always good to get the knowledge of a fishermen that has fished an area & has got fish there, that way you do go to an area with a shot of getting some fish, but it is always up to the fish to bite on the day that you are out there.
    Beleive me - the more that you are on this site - the more that you will learn that will help you out on any lake or river that you fish - but it will all come in time, just go out and get on the water & have a good but safe time.
    (and trust me - the knowledge will come Buddy)
    (These members are the best out there when it comes to getting them) :0a23:
    :wink:
    :0a26:

3. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Andrew,
    What are your usual stomping grounds? When you say NorCal, are you willing to go as far as Clearlake? With the recent warm weather there should be some good cats moving up there. As for the rest of the NorCal lakes, I would say its still a tad bit early for the good cats. Do you have a boat, or will you be pounding the bank with the rest of us? My reccommendation (spelling?):eek:oooh: would be somewhere in the Delta this time of year. Reason being, if the kittys arent biting there are plenty of striper and black bass that are waiting for a meal right now.:wink: Anyway, give us some more info and maybe we can help you out a little more.
    Linz:cool2:

4. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    thanx for you warm welcome and advice, i will keep what you said in mind.

5. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    first off thanks for your response. i have actually never been cat fishing before and i am looking to go camping in central or norhtern cali on a lake or pond with a buddy and plan on beating the bank all night. i guess im ,lokking for a spot i could camp right on the bank and have access to the water all night....and of course looking for my better options for cats with these factors in mind. I'm probably going to wait a month or two till it warms up a bit i think, but regardless thank you for your help.

6. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Wecome Andrew, There are alot of good fishing spots here in cen-northern Ca but finding camping and fishing are a major plus. Their out there, its like Reno, being at the right machine at the right time. Like the man said "give us some more info Bro". Make sure and look all around this web. There is alot of great info to be had. Again welcome!

7. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    thanks for the advice, i'm living in the monterey bay area and loooking for cat lakes or ponds anywhere in central cali and northern cali(im willing to drive). i have never been gone for cats but i am very intrigued.i want to plan a trip with my buddy and go camping for a night or two so im looking for a good spot that alows camping right on the bank so i can fish all night. i guess being able to have a campfire is a bonus but the main thing is trying to camp and catch cats from the shore. thanks very much for your previous post maybe this info will help you help me out... much appreciated, andrew

8. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Glad you said your willing to drive cause I dont think there is much catfishng in you area but there are folks out there who might know some spots. There is also a book out called "Lakes of California" should be able to find at most sportfishing stores. Has great info on most waters in Ca. Looks like the guys pretty much had the same waters down on your other thread, all good spots. Its all about investing time and gas and paying dues.:smile2:

9. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Sorry, should have said also, that east of you, south of Fresno and north of Bakersfield "I think", lays Mendota. The BOC just had a great get together there at Mendota slough. We found a spot along the water to camp and fish, but dont tell anyone or we send the Goon squad out:wink:

10. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    You might try Check 12 in the O'Neill Forebay.

11. sandgan

sandgan New Member

State:
    california
    thanks wisherman, is it a small lake that i can walk and find that spot or would i need to know what side of the lake its on?

12. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
  13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    That sounds like you & your Buddy what to hit up the Ca. Delta / But like Linz said, you may want to do that in about a month or so - when the water warms up a bit - the Cat Fishing will be much better.
    :wink::0a26:
    :0a23:

14. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Monterey huh, ya that's a bit far for most of my spots. I think Mendota or San Luis is your best option. If you do get a wild hair and decide to drive up this way, I would go with Clearlake. You can camp at M&M campground on Stubbs point in Clearlake Oaks, its right on the water. You can fish all night and be at or very near your campsight the entire time. It's a little pricy though, $20.00 a night. If you drive a little farther north to Eastpark Res. it's free camping. Either way, good luck.
    Linz
    :wink:

15. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Capt Steve and RRSmith are right on with the Check12 @ Oneill Forebay just below the San Luis Reservoir. Mendota is always an option not too far from you either. Check12 is a campground and I believe it is on the water. In Mendota you are definitely right on the water. The forebay is probably a little closer, but if you go to Mendota just post and we'll put you on a couple kitties.:wink:

Sean!

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I'd hit up san luis or the fore bay first ,check 12 is always produceing cats and striper's. there's san justo in holister ..if you stay on 101 heading to gilroy you can fish anderson-coyote-uvas resivor's -pinto lake these are all close to you and they all have nice cat's and bass in them.:wink: