Help Me Find a Good Catfish Pole for Under $100

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Diego, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Hey all,

When I bank it, I like using a long, flexible pole that has enough backbone to fight a big fish but is still very, very flexible. I catch bigger and more cats with a very flexible tip. I'm not sure why, but I believe it has something to do with the amount of resistance cats feel when they pick up and move with the bait. I've found I still get the small ones with a stiffer rod, but the big ones usually bite and then leave.

My favorite current setup is an old 8 foot fiberglass Eagle Claw "Star Fire" spinning rod rated for 8 - 15 pound line. I use a Shimano Sadona spinning reel with it.

However, I'm ready to switch to a baitcaster and need a baitcasting rod for it. I have an Abu Garcia 6600 C3LO. I LOVE the reel. It has a lever drag and clicker. The ability to leave the reel in free spool with the clicker on is the main reason I'm switching over.

The rod I'm looking for should be around 8-9 feet, be very, very flexible, and cast well. I've got a Shimano Scimitar SMC-86M-2 8'6" Med/Fast rod, but its WAY too stiff for my taste and is very hard to overhand cast with 1-2 ounces of weight. :mad:

I've looked at some medium 8-9 foot Ugly Sticks, but they still feel a bit too stiff to me.

If anyone has gone through this already and has found a pole they really like with the attributes I'm looking for, please post it up! :D

Thanks in advance!

2. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    id say 7 ft. ugly stick, i dont think you can beat the quality for the price

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just about anything other than a St Croix Classic Cat will fit your bill for under $100. I'm jealous, I wish I had $100 to choose a rod with.

How about checking out BOC Mbr GATORS web site & his custom rods.

The only thing I can think of right off the bat for you if Ugly Sticks are too stiff for your liking might be a Berkley Reflex/Glow Stick. Some say they are a little less-sturdy for what they perfer. One of the BOC's sponsors, Catfish Connection is the cheapiest place on earth to buy Glowsticks.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wish I could help you, but if you think a medium action ugly stik is to stiff I have no idea...Maybe one the the euro style carp rods?

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    check out the berkley reflex series casting rods. i have older versions of these rods in 10 ft and they are excellent for what your describing. they are very inexpensive too. think they run about 30to 35 dollars. a freind of mine bought 2 of them last year and he loves them. they are very flexible but very tough also. some kind of fiberglass/graphite composite. he caught a 35 lb flat last fall on one and they shocked him as to how tuff they were. they come in spinning and casting models. i know bass pro carries them. good luck

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh yeh i forgot they make a glowstick model too. never tried those out but i have heard bad things about them. the ones i described are white/red with cork handle.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would have to say the Medium or Medium Heavy Catfish Ugly stick very good backbone and its only $29 so you can get 3 for $100 :). The Berckly Tigers look pretty good too they are 19-25 I think.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just looked for them and bass pro doesnt have them at their web-site but they carry them at the cincy store. i finally found them at this site......www.1stopfishingshop.com/Reflex.html location.

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Why are you not sticking to spinning reels would be the first question? Get yourself a 8' MH Berkely Reflex with a soft tip and stick a spinning Bait Runner 4500 Series reel on it with 50 line. Either that or have a pole custom made for you then.

10. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Try the Predator rods from Cabela's. The heavier one is listed as a spinning rod, but works well with a baitcaster. It is 11' and unbelievably light. They are European rods designed to cast live baits long distances for large pike. I have a Pflueger Prion with 30 lb braid on one and it casts a mile with 1 to 1 1/2 ounce weight plus bait. Haven't fought a large fish yet but I feel that it should handle a decent fish.

Greg

11. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are more to Ugly Sticks than just what you see in most stores. My Dad has a couple of Big Water Ugly Sticks that I think would fit your criteria. I prefer a pretty fast action rod, and these are NOT fast action Ugly Sticks that I'm speaking of. Something else you may already be aware of: In a given rod series, a 7ft medium action rod would seem noticably stiffer than a 10ft medium action rod. The backbone is technically similar, but the "feel" will be much more to your liking (I'm thinking) in the longer rod.
    Just remember, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If I had a 100 bucks to spend on a rod I would check out BOC member Gator and his custom rods. They are sweet looking. Im sure he can build them to your specifications.

13. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to check out gator's site :)

14. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    LOL! :happy:

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally I believe you cant beat a Ugly Cat rod made by Ugly Stick. Only $30 at Wal-Mart.....awesome rod too! ;) :)

Good luck. :)

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All my rods are custom made. Start thinking about what you want this pole to do? What size fish are you looking to target? 20, 50, 80 lbs? What size reel and type of line do you wish to use on it? What size weights do you think you will be throwing is something else to think about.
    You sound like you really want a good catrod, so these are factors that you have to think about when designing up one. Get a nice one.

Vince
    TeamWhiskers

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    for under 100 you can get alot of different rods... heck i would like to have 100 to get a rod with, usually im stuck with 30 if that to get one... (i have plenty of backups already so its all good :) )... One i would suggest is a 7.5 ft Bass Pro Power Plus Trophy Class rod... its $20, cast great, handles fish well, the tip is soft enough that fish usually don't feel much resistance when they pick up a bait and its got the backbone to bring in some decent fish (i catch 6-8 lb channels most of the time)... The only problem i've had with it is the guides... the ceramic insert in the tip came off of mine (still haven't fixed... gotta do that... :-/) ummm but that was my fault i brought the weight and swivel up to far, way too many times.... oops... :0a33:

Another choice, though it won't be able to cast as much weight is checking out Fenwick for some of their baitcasting rods... Walmart carries some for $50 and they are Very well made... i've caught many cats on them and they can handle the fish well... i know you won't find them for this easily but i got 3 when walmart had them clearance priced at $5 a piece....

I would also have to recommend Uglysticks... i mean if you want something really nice to cast from shore out a good ways they can do it and they are soft enough to detect minute bites... their surf rods are only like $69 or $70, somewhere in there...

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, I really like my Quantum Bigcat medium action. It's 6" short of being a full 8' long, but it's long enough to get very good distance with it. If I need more distance than I can get with it, I go to my 14' river rod.

19. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    give the ugly stick tiger a try it is only a 7 footer but one heck of a good rod

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Diego..... Check out one of BOC sponsors Catfish Connection. Under specials, I got a 9 ft Med action ugly stick for under $40.00. Can't go wrong with that price and pole.