The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed to order something for a few bucks so my Amazon order can have free shipping and just so happened they have some Piscifun braid for cheap at Amazon Warehouse. I never use braid before so I thought maybe I will give this a try.

So all of my reels are all spooled with mono. My plan is to remove some of the mono, and replace it with this braid. Ideally I remove just enough line, then add this new braid on top of it, but how do I do that so I do not remove too much or too little? You all can laugh but my head hurts thinking how to accomplish this lol, so if anyone can share a good easy way to do this, I am very grateful.

The braid is 200 yards. The spinning reels are all size 4000 or 4500 (I have to check to be sure), but pretty sure they all have enough capacity for more than 200 yards of braid.

Administrator
Not exactly sure I understand what you want. But here is a thought.

Decide how much braid you want on each reel. I am guessing 100yds. If so you can lay the line out in an open field and get two equal lengths. Transfer all the mono that is on the reel onto a separate spool. Next wind the 100yds of braid onto the reel you emptied. Attach the mono to the end and fill the spool. Then reverse it so the braid is on top. A large open field would be helpful for laying the line out and reversing it.

Hope this is what you were asking

Tom

Reactions: BCT

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not exactly sure I understand what you want. But here is a thought.

Decide how much braid you want on each reel. I am guessing 100yds. If so you can lay the line out in an open field and get two equal lengths. Transfer all the mono that is on the reel onto a separate spool. Next wind the 100yds of braid onto the reel you emptied. Attach the mono to the end and fill the spool. Then reverse it so the braid is on top. A large open field would be helpful for laying the line out and reversing it.

Hope this is what you were asking

Tom
Thank you Tom. For some reason, after reading what you outlined it make more sense now! I have to consider doing this when the bite is slow. Something to keep me entertained lol

Administrator
I like my spools full but be careful not to over fill it. It will bring several spirals out at the same time and twist them up.

I use that method of filling my bait casters.

Registered
OkC Oklahoma
Tom, I after reading this thread, I read one on the same subject line from 2008.
I have what might seem, to some folks, a dumb question. Why? There are so many posts explaining how each individual does it, I鈥檓 sure there is a logical reason for spooling mono then topping it off with braid. I just can鈥檛 figure it out.

Right now, I have 5 R/R, all have spinning reels. They all have either mono (my lighter action Lews, 8# mono) or braid (3 have 50#, 1 has 20#).

Registered
I like my spools full but be careful not to over fill it. It will bring several spirals out at the same time and twist them up.

I have a bad habit of doing this. Not sure why as my reels have way more capacity than I need. Does make a nice mess. Lol.

Registered
Tom, I after reading this thread, I read one on the same subject line from 2008.
I have what might seem, to some folks, a dumb question. Why? There are so many posts explaining how each individual does it, I鈥檓 sure there is a logical reason for spooling mono then topping it off with braid. I just can鈥檛 figure it out.

Right now, I have 5 R/R, all have spinning reels. They all have either mono (my lighter action Lews, 8# mono) or braid (3 have 50#, 1 has 20#).
Depends up on the reel, but braid is slippery than mono. With some reels if you put on braid without mono, the spool will free spin and won't wind up your line. Putting on some mono solves this problem since mono will grip the spool.

Administrator
Hey GP, there are a couple of reasons one might think about doing this.

one thing to remember is that a full spool will cast better that one short on line. An OVERFULL spool will do what Craig described as making a nice mess.

1st. I order my braid in 300 yard spools when I can because the price is usually better that getting a 150 yard spool. My Abu 6500 reels will hold about 150 yards of 50# braid so I like to split a spool evenly. (An affliction that happens to a perfectionist.) Anyway when I split the new line in half and want just the right amount of line on each 6500, doing this method is very accurate. I could just fill the reel with braid and end up with what would be left on the store spool being too short for another reel.

Whether using spinning or casting reels the process is the same.

2nd. If you buy a 150 yard spool you usually want to add a backing but the question can be (how much backing do I put on and have enough room to use the full store bought spool. Nothing worse than buying Braid which is expensive and having to discard some because you couldn't get this process right.

That is about the only reasoning I can provide.

My wife doesn't concern herself with things like this. But then she will pump 18 gallons of gas into a 15 gallon tank. Or use a heating thermostat like it is just an on and off switch. haha

Registered
OkC Oklahoma
GUILTY!!
I bought a 150 yard spool of 20# braid for a spinner reel. Needless to say, it didn鈥檛 all fit on the reel. So... Wasted?
My grandson has a spinner, so I鈥檒l suggest he take some of the mono off it and ass the braid.
So maybe not wasted after all.
He has 鈥渞emnant鈥 line of several weights (even a bit of 8# Spiderwire).
Come Spring we will, all 3, be ready for the finned beasties in the local lakes!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Naw.... this never happen to me ;)

(thanks for the reminder, I had learned the hard way a while back what not to do!)

As to why I have the mono backing, I hate wasting anything. I can just remove all of the mono (which were installed early this year) and replace them with braid, but that seems wasteful to me. So I figure ~100 yard of braid should be enough, and I can have braids for 3 of my rig (I rechecked my order and it was for 300 yards instead of 200). I am fishing small cats from the bank and I know I do not cast 100 yards with bait.

Registered
OkC Oklahoma
I am fishing small cats from the bank and I know I do not cast 100 yards with bait.
Exactly. I, too, fish exclusively from the bank. AND, there鈥檚 no way I can cast 100 yards.
So, next time I change line I just might try it myself.
The way I figure, can鈥檛 be any worse. 馃榾

Administrator
Yes several tapes will work. I have used inexpensive electrical tape and it does well also. Good point Kris.

Registered
Aaron......Indiana
People use mini backing for all the reasons mentioned above, plus because the mono is cheaper. I don鈥檛 feel like messing with the hassle, so I bought an 1100 yard spool of 80 lb Pisfun braid from Amazon for $51.99. Spooled 4 7000鈥檚 and 2 6500鈥檚 with plenty left over. Black electricians tape wrapped around the spool keep it from spinning.

Registered
I understand your wanting to back your braid with mono and your desire to end up with "just the right amount" of line on the spool. I've done that a bunch of times! It's a bit of a hassle but here's how I do it:
I remove the existing mono from the reel onto a secondary spool (this step isn't necessary if the reel doesn't already have mono on it)
I put the whole spool of new braid onto the reel then tie on the mono (I use a double uni knot for the line to line connection)
I then fill the spool with the mono (at this point the braid is on the inside and the mono is on the outside of the spool)
I then wind the whole works onto a secondary spool (a spool on an spindle that you can chuck into an electric drill works well for this). Now the braid is on the outside so you need to reverse the whole works one more time before putting it back on the reel
Now you have to wind the whole works onto another spool so that the mono backing ends up on the "outside"
Now you can wind the whole works back onto the reel and it should fill it perfectly
Added note: I"ve experienced the frustration of braid spinning on the spool. When filling a reel with pure braid I simply use a small piece of duct tape on the first wrap and it's totally solved any slippage issues.
Tight Lines and Good Luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts