Help me DRC (or anybody)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jan 2, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    DRC, looked at one of the bird feeders this morning, hoping to get some Pheasant Rooster photos with my new camera. Regular feeders had vamoosed because this guy had struck and was plucking one of their buddies. (Breakfast is served, ya want toast with that?) She has been hanging around about a week. This is the first kill I have seen her make.

Got some pictures. Not the best, this camera thing ain't up my alley. Look them over. Is it a Merlin (pigeon hawk), or Sharp Shinned? I think it is a young, female Merlin. Don't know for sure.

The first is her plucking and eating after her kill. A blue jay. One of the jays buddies is hanging around.
    The second is of her preening herself after brunch in a pussy willow tree.
    The third is of her looking at me. A cutoff picture, but you can see how immature she looks.

See what ya think. Oh hey, DRC, ya think I should shoot it. LOL

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Beetle, I'm not DRC....or a raptor expert. I'm putting my bet on the sharpie. This is why. The main differences that I can see between the two are that the merlin will have white bands on it's tail, and it's wings are longer, more streamlined, and come to a definative point while the wings are close. In contrast, the sharpie will have black bands on the tail, and have shorter, more blunt wings. To me, in the photos, the wings look shorter, and I can't see any white bands on the tail. Could be the age of the bird, sex of the bird, or the photos themselves though, so I'm not 100% sure. Great photos though. Thank you for posting them no matter what kind of bird it is!

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i think its a dang thief for eating all of your birds. but it sure is pretty, so i would let it stay around for a while. How was your christmas John?

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello young feller. Kill anybody over the holidays? I had a very good Christmas. Nancy was gone, the weather blew out my family thing, so the only thing I had was my dogs, reverie and no revelry. It was as nice a Christmas as an excuse to have a Christmas there was. That means I saw no people, human beings, nardnuts or aliens. It was wonderful.

I like that hawk. I ain't gonna let DRC shoot it. It is not big enough to get my guineas. Maybe the guineas will get it.

Find Baithchunker and see if he can still do one armed push ups with a Sgt standing over him.

Later Joey. John.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    HEY Joey where you been? Missed you latly I need help keepin Beetles bloodpreasure up ,as you can see he aint went off the deep end yet but he is starting to scare me a little he has figured the camera out and talking about playing with nuclear bombs:eek:oooh:

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You did good, John. Now have you found the zoom and delayed picture buttons? Thanks for sharing the pics. Beautiful creatures, birds.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John, I was able to do some research today on the little hawks, and found that experts agree that the most consistant way to differentiate between the two is the flavor. Merlins taste more like eagles, and sharpies taste more like redtails.:eek:oooh::embarassed:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    But they all taste like CHICKEN, LOL!!!

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I like the way ya are baitin the smaller ones in so the real predators can have an easy meal. LOL! Nice touch there.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think he was well within range Beetle...

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    bet they dont taste near as good as the smoked ribs that i had last nite
    and 2nite .:wink:
    i aint no expert and never claimed to be on raptors .
    i do like them though and they are facinateing creatures .
    guess ive never had one take something that belonged to me ( as in a guinea or pet ) may or may not change how i feel about them .
    those are some good clear pics .
    i had a olympus digital that had some large redtail pictures and a large owl that i seen at a lake beginning of past summer a year ago .
    somehow camera never made it home :sad2: i think it got thrown away in a
    idnr trash can

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm with BG, thats a pretty good idea to bait in the little ones to get those Hawks in easy shooting range :after_boom: to keep them fro flogging your guineafowl:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:. Hope ya wrote all those hawk recipees down.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    aint a 100% john but it looks like what we call a blue darter or a coopers hawk.either way they both eat pigeons so they dont last long here.and for all concerned they taste a lot like a crow.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Briefly saw a man tasting pigeon eggs last night, cooked in black tea and teriyaki sauce................he said they tasted like bad egg yolks. Ever tried pigeon eggs? They were so small, I'm not sure they were worth the electric to cook them. :eek:oooh:

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    pigeon aint nuthin but a big ol dove. id pop the breast meat outa doves chest in a heartbeat! wrap it in bacon, throw it on the flames... uuummmm.....

john, i dont "grab realestate" like i used to. lol. i never really had a problem with my sgt.'s standing over me, especially after i became the senior cpl. it was the boot lt.'s that got me all riled up. i wonder how many pull ups i can do these days? used to average about 25-27. i guess that means now i could do 5-7. lmao. oh to be a 300 pft again...

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pickled Quail eggs, Cheryl. They rank right up there with pickled pigs feet.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YUCK! ...................................................

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Where are the real raptor experts?

I'm not one, but I am pretty comfortable with the falcons. My money is on the Cooper's Hawk.

Hope y'all had a good New Year!

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    .........and pickled eggs, okra, or pickled pickles.........:smile2:

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Beetlejuice,

Here is a link to ID the raptor, in your pics. Let us know, which one you think it was.

http://www.iwrc-online.org/RaptorID/RaptorID.html

Fascinating creatures birds. John, is there a universal way to know the sex of birds, that their species don't have a bright color and a dull color? Like ducks, geese, etc.

Milena