Help me design my TOON!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catsmith1, May 30, 2007.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I bought a toon today with absolutly nothing on the deck today.

Help me decide what to put on it. I have a clean slate and want your thoughts.

The deck is 20x8.

2. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    rodger here,
    here is what i did to my 16ft toon.
    consoul in the middle of floor,i use heavy high back plastic lawn chairs for seating, that way u can place them where u want. 12 roberts pole holders so there is one anywhere u whent to sit. i took a pair of clamp on shop lights with the aluminum sheild on them and put 12 volt dc bulbs to work off my marine battery, bulbs at parts store. fish finder, used most of time to no depth and bottom layout.big hevay made plastic locker from wal-mart for storage of extra gear and works s table

3. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    got cut off. locker works great as a table too.
    the 12 volt lights will take about 14 hrs to drain battery.
    also a pair of rubber mounted fog lights , no rusting problems,
    electric anchors front and back works good to.
    rod holders along sides of console, short pvc pipe makes a good net holder.
    this is what worked good for me
    rodger

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Rob,
    I remodeled my toon last year and had a lot of fun doing it to... It all depends on your budget... Are you high tech, or lawn chair? Cabelas sells decent toon furniture, but the prices are a little high..

The best thing to do is decide how you want to use it. then go from there.. I had no idea how I wanted to do mine. But I did know that I wanted new carpet and deck... So I replaced the deck with new carpet. And the ideas just started flowing..

Can't wait to see what you come up with.. Good luck!
    Andy~

5. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Just a thought but why nor move the console as far forward as possible. It will free up more room toward the back and allow you to see whats in front of you better. Ditto what Elwood and Azflats said too.

Joe

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Like any boat, you cant get too far off balance.
    Ever seen a pontoon boat broach? They'll broach enough without the added weight on the front.:big_smile:

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've seen a pontoon go under with everybody sitting and standing on the front deck while under way. Definitely want to keep the weight to the rear!

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Couple Things that *may* help..

Go to a Dealer and look at new ones..
    Use what you seen that you liked.

Climb up on it with chair, sit there and look around and think of what/where things work best FOR YOU.. Imagine fighting a lunker, figure where you want the net/pole storage/etc..
    Before permanently mounting things, mock it up and do it again. Try to "dry test" all your ideas before installing it.. You may realize things like, putting the Fire Extinguisher up front in a cubby hole wasn't a great idea after all :wink:

9. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thanks for the broaching info guys. What if you put some small fins on the front of the toons to add lift, maybe that would cut down on the broaching. I've also seen some toons that were concave on the bottom to add lift. Sometime you have to think outside of the box if you want something done a certain way. Just thinkin out loud here guys. I love to try to figure out new ways to do things. :smile2:

Joe

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    This is what I am looking for, keep up the good work!

Ok, tell me about the weight balance thing. I have about a 300lb motor on the back with two batteries and a gas tank. How do you figure the center as far as weight goes? I would think it should be heaver in the back but how much?

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    does anyone know of a "virtual toon design" site? You know on that lets you play with the arragment of things? Maybe a new dealer may have one. Let you fool around with the floor plan before finallizing it. Try a internet search or call a local dealer to see. Maybe Bass Pro?