help me decide

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by fisherdude14, Jan 1, 2008.

1. fisherdude14

fisherdude14 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well first off,i would like to wish u guys all a happy new year,i really wanna catch my first cat this year(hopefully soon),well my b-day is comin up on march 3rd which is kinda far away but i can wait,i dont no if i should get this combo from bps(ugly cat spinning combo)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_51675_100003002_100000000_100003000_100-3-2

or if i should get this combo from bps(quantum bill dance combo)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_98411_100003002_100000000_100003000_100-3-2

thx for helping me out:big_smile:

2. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Well Id have to say Ive always been a really big fan of The Ugly Stik....... very sturdy rods witch has proven itself time and time again!! I'd say go w/ that one. The other looks like a nice setup but just because it says Bill Dance doesn't mean anything about the quality! Hope this helps and good luck brother

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    go with the ugly stick if you go comb . bill dance rods are very light

4. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'd do it for the Ugly Stik alone. The reel isn't the greatest, but your rod is very important! One tip though, DON'T BUY THEIR "FREE TACKLE BAG" THAT COSTS 6.95. I did, and felt like an idiot when I realized it was just a bag:angry:, that's it. No boxes, just a bag:embarassed:. It was my fault, but don't fall for it.

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would definately NOT buy the ugly stik combo.The Alpha reels on that combo is total junk.I bought one for my youngest son this spring after he used it three or four times the reels drag was shot.Meaning you could only set it stiff as a board or free running as for the other rod it didnt say what reel was on it but it looked like it might be a Alpha also.

6. fisherdude14

fisherdude14 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ya i no it aint tjhe best but i can like for sure switch it onto a nother pole for like just catching lil gills and bullheads and take my shimano 4000 series reel of the other pole and put it on the ugly stick

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    You can't go wrong with the Ugly Stick, A different reel is a must though.
    GO with what you trust the most with the reel. jmho

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    The Ugly Stick paired up with your existing Shimano reel would be a decent setup.

J

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    If I were in your shoes, I'd do one of two things,
    1. Buy Ugly Stik combo bc that's what you can afford and upgrade reel as time goes. The Alpah reel is cheap, but IMO, if you are fishing for smaller channels (5-7lbs and under) then it will do ok. I watched a buddy using that combo, and he loved it, but I wouldn't want it if you were going after bigger fish.
    2. Wait till you get a little more money, and buy the ugly stik catfish rod on its own ($31) and pair it with another reel. If you are thinking of using that reel for perch, it's really prob. too big. It will take the fun out. Try to imagine bass fishing with a deep sea setup :doubt:. You'd be better off finding an ultra light reel or combo from a pawn shop and cleaning it up. You might spend a few more bucks, but you'll be better suited for your quarry.
    You have heard my humble opinion!
    I started out like you, not having/wanting to spend $$, but I've built up and now I've got an Abu 6000/ Berkley Lightning Rod; Abu 7000/ Ugly Stik; and a couple more baitcasters to come. I still love my spinning reels for bass, but it's easy to use casters for cats bc of the weight you are throwing.

10. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I would recomend the ugly stick combo, it will handle cats up to probibly around 10lbs IMO, I would recommend you check out the Okuma spinning reals to upgrade, thats what I use and am very happy with the reel, now I have never actually owned the Ugly Cat rod, only a much MUCH larger Ugly Stick, but I have also never heard anything bad about the rod

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Good rod being an ugly stick, don't know much about the reel. Go to waly world you can get a different open face combo for the same money. Or better yet spend a little more and build your own combo.

12. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    I have had two Bill Dance Catfish Combo's for three seasons fishing for eaters and catchin up to seven pound channels. The rod is sensitive enough for the bite and combo with seventeen pound test monofiliment allows me to horse them from the wood I seem to find them in most of the time. Good luck with whatever you choose.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you want to fish channels only, get an ABU 6500 baitcaster and a reflex or ugly stik in MED HVY. (You will be able to cast it) you can dial up the resistance when starting out so's you almost can't cast out line lol. But after three casts you'll be loosening that bad boy up so you can hit the other side of the pond. Yes you will get a birds nest once in awhile, I still do after 12 years.
    If you want to target channels, blues and flats in the 30+ range get a 7000 abu, paired with a ugly-stik TIGER rod, catt maxx something like that.. For both boat and bank fishing I use 7ft 6 in rods. Its a good dual purpose. If you need to cast far offshore a 10 or 12 footer will be needed. If you plan on sticking with catfishing, just save yourself time, agravation, and money. And get quality equipment that you wont have to replace or upgrade in a year. I am still using the same 7000's and 6500's I bought 12 years ago. Never had a problem with them.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice post, Skip.

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    my main setups are three fishing rigs:

1.) zebco 888 on A 8 foot berkley fiberglass catfish pole
    2.) zebco 808 on a 8 foot berkley fiberglass pole
    3.) zebco 733 on a quantum graphite heavy freshwater pole

happy hunting rick first two i use trilene 30 pound big game
    last one 20 trilene catfish

16. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    You know what ever you pick will be fine. The Ugly Stick combo will work great. But you know when I really want to have fun I grab my crappie rig and tackle cats over tens pounds what a blast that is. So what ever you chose just remember to jsut have fun and enjoy the great outdoors.

17. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I actually just recently got 2 of both. The difference in the two are the reels. The rods them self are pretty much the same just the Quantum rod has the red stripes on it that gives it a better look. Both have the same specs (line weight,etc...)

The main difference is the reels. Here is the difference. The shakespeare is a 60 model while the quantum is a 70 model. Which the 60 model is a big spinning reel and the 70 is just as big but is wider and is made to handle heavier line and not unravel as easy. The shakespeare handle seems to be more comfrontable to grip, while the quantum handle is more of a rounder oval shape that might be better when you have a bigger fish. The shakespeare reel, to me seems to be a littler better made but they are very equal. Both have the drag setting on the front of the reel, and the quantum reel seems to have a better drag system. The quantum reel their is a clicking when adjusting the drag so you can put it just right. while the shakespeare is a smooth turn, so I don't think it has as good of a drag on it. They put give the clicking sound when the line is being pulled out of the reels. The shakespeare reel does offer the on and off switch so you can reel back and forth, while the quantum doesn't have this feature. I don't mess with the on and off switch on my reels so that doesn't matter to me but it might to you. They both are made that you can move the handles over from either side (lefty or righty), but the shakespeare reel is easier for storage. It allows you to fold down the handle for a slimmer more compact storage area, while the quantum doesn't. I like the shakespeare reel better, but both are good.

Basically the quantum is the newer model, but both are good. My opinion I would pick the shakespeare.