Help! Lure problem...

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Is there any way to keep rattle traps(sorry I don't know how they spell it) lures' hooks from getting caught on the line as you reel in? I've been having this problem lately, and I'd like to know what to do to stop it.

2. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    watch your casts and how the bait lands more then likely its gets twisted when you cast and the snap swivel will make it look real fake.

3. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    do you have a lot of lin twist that also can be a troulbe.

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes, I use snap swivels. What should I be using?

5. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    get ride of the snap swivle and tye it on the line. I like a palomar or a raplaknot palomar keeps it simple.

6. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Alright, thanks everybody! :big_smile:

7. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    glad to help for a change. good luck

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep i used to use a snap swivel always too
    it may be a little more convenient to switch baits but youll get used to cuttin off and tying good knots
    plus iv had a few sap swivels come undone or bend out when fish hammers it

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i have had good luck using coelok snaps with out the swivel. I don't seem to have the broplem of them straightening as with the plane safteypin snaps, goodluck.

PS. I only use them on braided line.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I also like to remove one of the hooks...usually the middle one and leave the tail hook. Miss some strikes, but what the heck, they will be there the next time.

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only use swivels when im catfishing. When you use them with lures it messes up the action sometimes.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can also remove the snap from the swivel. Don't have as much weight up front to mess up the lures actions and its still easy to change lures. Its best to do this with as small a snap-swivel as you can work with...just open the snap, slide the little flat plate towards the bend of the snap, remove the swivel and reposition the flat plate. I always crimped it with pliers afterwards just for insurance.

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Hmmmm. Could be you're fishing with the wrong type lure for catfish. Could be you might catch one on a rattletrap but not likely. LOL..Couldn't resist.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's exactly what I was going to say, definitely never use a snap swivel on a lure.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    What is so bad about using a snap swivel with a lure? I have not had any problems with them, or problems with them presenting the lure properly.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, you got some special snap swivels then, for one thing, I've had many big fish break good size snap swivels. I used them at first, but quickly discovered that using no snap swivel was the best by far.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Special snap swivel no not realy, it is a smaller type that locks back, not flat. If a snap messies with the action then so do the clips that hold the treble hooks on. I have used them for years and caught alot of fish. To each his own. To add something to the snap adds weight to the lure, how is that possible when the weight is being pulled forward from reeling, may make it sink faster but little else, it is not like I am putting a 1 oz sinker on their.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When this comes into play the most is with crankbaits and topwater. In these cases it messes with the way the lure acts during the time you aren't reeling. Some of these lures sit still in a very nose-up position so a snap swivel can also cause the line to hang on the hooks.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's right. Maybe tncatfishing is using plastic baits, then I guess the snap swivels wouldn't matter. But I have only tried them with crankbaits and stuff like that, it really just messed the action up, and like I said, I lost some good fish because of those things.

20. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Mostly plastic baits but also alot of crankbaits and topwater spinner baits.