Help... Losing bait!

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by thegavel, Aug 5, 2008.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Got my bait tank set up, just an old deep freeze with a pond pump and 2 areators running to it...

Lost a feel gills last night after having them for a few weeks.... They all looked like they had blisters on their skin...

Any idea what this is? How to fix it? Why is it happening?

Some of the live ones have it as well...

All help is greatly appreciated

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Maybe the pumps are getting the water too hot? I also have an old freezer as a bait tank. What I use is 2 regular 110 volt aquarium air pumps. I bought 3 of the the 10" air bars that have suction cups on them. Thats it if all you are keepin is sunfish. A filter would be a great addition if you plan on keepin bait for a long time. I have had about four dozen in mine for the past 3 days and they are still lively. It is outside and the water hasnt gotten over 70 degrees.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Mine is in the garage, the water got up to 72 but not any hotter, I run ice jugs every day...

Tank works great and have had them in there since Saturday... lost a few, but some of the others are acting up...

Just odd...

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I got to thinking today, and looked at the fish I lost, put 2 and 2 together....

My pump for the filter was sucking the gills in as they were swimming by....

After some examination and thought I figured this out.

Solution: Old Koolaid plastic container and a pocket knife.... I put the pump in the container (cut to fit) and lined it with furnace filter while I was at it for an extra filter layer!

Atleast now they can't be sucked up!!!

Hopefully this will help. I am going out of town for a couple of days so I guess time will tell, or I am going to have a HORRIBLE smell to come home to!