Help looking for fryers

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Brando, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Hey all! I'm needing some help finding fish big enough for the skillet. I had an adventure yesterday with my cousins (12 &8), and their friend (15) and we all had a blast. We caught 8 catfish (6 channel, 2 bullhead). The channels were all over a foot long, but they weren't large at all.

Does anyone know of anywhere that I can take these guys to land some decent sized fish so that we can have a cookout? It's important to me that I can make this happen for them. They are really good kids.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :006:

2. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    what part of KY are you located? If you are near Louisville I may be able to help you out.

Jim

3. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Why yes I am in Louisville. I live in the east end by the malls, actually. Any help would be great!

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Brandon,
    Welcome to the Boc. Cant help ya as where to fish, but just wanted to say how nice it is that you have those little guys fishing. As a person involved in law enforcement, its very important that we get these kids today involved into something good at an early age. And what better sport than fishing. Keep it up. Thanks, rspd507

5. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    Brandon,
    You may want to check the Falls of the Ohio on the In side of the river, also any bank access along river road. I have caught fish off the bank at Cox park. The river will be up and there should be a good current which will help with the fishing. I have had luck with hotdogs my last couple of trips.

Jim:big_smile:

6. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Ahhhh. I see. Thanks fellas, I appreciate the help. I'm sure the boys will, too!

And RSPD, my dad has been on the force in Jeffersontown since '86. I really appreciate the job you guys do. Please stay safe.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you might want to try a trip to taylorsville lake. i have never fished there but from what i hear, it is just full of good cats.

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Brandon
    You are a remarkable young man who is making memories these kids will not forget. I am from West Point, there is a park in town that alot of people can get access to the bank from. 2 years ago, an 80 lb cat was caught from the bank (not sure what kind) and last year another kid hooked into a 50 lb blue from the bank. If you need more info, do not hestitate to pm me.

Linda

BE SAFE

9. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Thanks all. I must say, it was pretty cool the last 2 weekends. My cousins Trey and Nathan had been "fishing" before with their dad (who obviously didn't teach them how to fish, but drank beer instead) on a weekend visit with him, but their friend Senol, who is a 15 year-old boy whose parents came here from Bosnia, had never been fishing. I was there when he landed his first fish. You have never seen someone so excited to catch a 5in bluegill. It was a pretty special moment for us. He can't wait to go this weekend now!

I had the pleasure of growing up on the Ohio with my grandparents having a houseboat. I was a regular river-rat on the boat at least every other weekend, if not every weekend. Some of my best memories from growing up are on that boat. Nathan and Trey's mom, my Aunt Cathy helped me win tournaments down there at the marina when I was a child. I have trophies at home for most fish caught in a weekend as well as biggest fish from another season. She helped my sister (who was 5 at the time) win the trophy for smallest fish. The man measured my sis' 2 1/4 in whopper and he said that it currently wasn't the smallest fish caught. My Aunt, who can be pretty intimidating, did not believe the man measured the fish correctly and that his number was inaccurate. She then looked at him and said, "You'd better measure that again." And what do you know! It came back at 1 3/4 in. Imagine that! My Aunt made sure that my sis and I both won things just about every year we were down there. I still have the Berkeley Cherrywood rod that I won the year we caught the most fish.

Grandma and Grandpa sold the boat when I was 8, my sis was 5 and my Aunt was 21. The summer my sis won smallest fish was the last year we had on the boat. Grandma and Grandpa are up in years now and can't upkeep another boat. My Grandpa is losing a battle with cancer right now and it is taking its toll on everyone. My Aunt Cathy has a good bit of trouble with her back these days and can't really manage the terrain too well to fish with these boys. I spend a good bit of time watching after them since my grandmother watches them at our house after school each day. But now I get to do for them what Aunt Cathy did for me and teach them how to fish.

That's why it's important to me. Thank you so much for you help, you guys are great!

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    the game farm in frankfort has nice channel cats in it,they even have a lake just for kids which is probably the best lake there.I catch nice ones out of there all the time with shrimp and liver.

11. dirty harry

dirty harry New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hi everyone,

Well I have been a member of BOC for a few years now, I have moved to Kentucky, been here almost a month getting settled in. I sure miss my brothers in Cali, robb, bert, linz, tom, jamie, gilifam, and many more. We had some great times in our gatherings. Miss you guys, Now I am ready to meet more brothers and sisters in the BOC, I see all these farm ponds and I start shaking thinking how many fish are in them things. I live in Shelbyville, about 15 minutes east of Louisville, Momma and I are renting right now until we find the home we are looking for. Sure would like to get to know some folks and do some fishing, I am an avid deer hunter as well, but being new I dont have a clue where to try and go, so if anyone wanna drag me along Im a willing hostage lol. Anyone belong or are there any good hunt clubs in the area? I am looking foward to doing some fishing and meeting some folks.

Paul

12. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Hey Paul! I'd love to hit up those ponds in Shelbyville. I'll go anytime I'm free. I got started deer hunting last year and I've got a couple of friends that conisistently fill their tags every year, so as for places to hunt, I've got a couple ideas on that, too. Other than that, welcome to KY!

13. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Welcome back to KY; I am sure it won't take long for you to form friendships with the guys from this area. I have fished Guist Creek, but many years ago but it would be worth checking out. Also Floyd's Fork Creek used to be a great place to fish, but again that has been 20+ years ago. Do you have a boat? Take a trip to West Pint, just out of Jefferson Co in Hardin Co and we can show you some great places. Anyway, welcome to the kY BOC.
    Linda

14. dirty harry

dirty harry New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank you Ms Linda for the info, Brandon as soon as I find a pond to fish in I will let you know. Plenty out here just havent had the chance to talk to the farmers yet. Let me know on the deer hunting thing, I would love to join up and go.

Paul

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey paul if your out in the Shelbyville area you need to be out on gest creek lake best fishing around that area cats, strips,crappie, and big bass.

16. dirty harry

dirty harry New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank ya swordsman, Hope to see ya out there one day. I will try it for sure very soon. We should have a few more days with nice sun.

Paul