Help, Live bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kfritts, May 24, 2007.

1. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have mostly been fishing with stink baits, livers, and nightcrawlers. I want to try live or cut gills, etc. What is the most common way of rigging them?

2. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Most of the time I hook gills behind the dorsal fin. In heavy current I'll hook them in the lips. You can hook cut bait just about anyway, just make sure your hook is exposed.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Personally, I'd use Live gills or Cut SHAD depending on what I was after. I have much better luck on cut shad the channels than cut gill. I usually "fillet" em and fish the fillet strip... If they are smallish, then I cut the tail off at an angle tward the top fin....

Live gill in the Lake, I hook right in front of the top fin. Be sure not to hit the backbone and leave plenty of hook point sticking out. Also, remove any scales that may end up on the hook point before casting....

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i normally cut my bait into chunks(so with one fish i can get all my rods fishing) i fillete them sometimes but most of the time i just cut them into quarters. just make sure that your hook point is exposed

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I use shad and cut the tail off, slit the belly open and put the hook in mouth and out thru top of head.. Plenty of point showing that way..

6. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    i mix it up a little just to keep it interesting. sometimes hook gills near the anal fin, sometimes through the back.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    on a cut shad, i cut it at an angle where i have the head and a section of the belly with some gut. for a live gill or shad, i hook it through the eyes being careful not to penetrate the bone and just stick the hook straight through the eye socket. best bait you can ever get:smile2:

8. circlehook

circlehook New Member

State:
    NE
    If I use gills for bait, I've had my best success just cutting off it's head.
    This might sound gross, but after you cut off its head, step on it. It crushes its brain and gets all the juices flowing. :cool2:

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    In waters where there are no shad (small ponds, for example) use whatever non-game forage fish is available. If legal, a bluegill makes a great bait in such circumstances. I've had more luck using them cut than alive...but if there's flatheads in the body of water, try them live.

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    for live gills i use a slip sinker on the line first then a three way swivel so i can put two leaders with two hooks, and i put one hook through the lips and on right above the tail. or if i use a regular barrel swivel i hook it right behind the dorsal fin. for cut bait i use cut gills in 1/2's to 1/4's depending on the size. then i just hook it however works with alot(ALOT) of my point/barb exposed.