Help In Outfitting a Grizzly 2072

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    New guy here-Found this site by accident last night while researching jon boats. I had to post 10 times in order to view pictures. I've spent so much time here that my eyes have had to rested several times today.

I have very little experience with boats and could really use some advice. This will be a long post. I'm sure that some of my ?'s will be very, very stupid to most of you.

Most web site discussions concentrate on bass boats, pleasure, ski, or something else besides a good fishing boat.

I have settled on a Grizzly 2072 for several reasons. I want to fish the smaller rivers and streams here in central Kentucky, but mainly for central Florida. I recently retired and may spend more time in Florida (Relocate or Snowbird) and I'm sure that south Georgia and Alabama has lots of water that would suit me. Big water and bigger lakes are ok too, but I have no desire to be on the water on windy days. Most of my fishing is with live bait for bluegills,ect. and last spring I caught several channel cats while in Florida and I now understand what all the fuss is about. I want a stable boat that can be used in shallow water.

About an hour from me is a Tracker dealer. Several people have told me that this dealer has excellent 'after the sale' customer service. This dealer also sells Mercury motors exclusively. I havn't been to the dealer yet, I would like to learn more about the choices I have so that I have some clue what will and will not work for me. So far the plain jane version is the most appealling to me over the 'loaded' models.

Horse power-I have so many other issues that are more important-getting there fast is my last concern. Until I gain more experience, I doubt even if I will try to get fast enough to plane off. 40-50hp for first motor?

If i buy the plain boat, can a Mercury motor set up for remote steering be used with a tiller (assuming that a side console could be added later)?

Can the side console be located to the front for extra room? Steering cable problems? I would not want the factory livewell-prefer ice chests as I am a catch and eat type.

Could a 'joy-stick' system steering be used-thus eliminating the need for a console? I really like this notion.

For a plain jane boat my thinking is that I would floor it using sealed 2 x 14's or 2 x 12's. Is the floor level in this part of the deck or do i need to allow for a joint at the center? The reason for the 2 x is that I want to spread the point load of me over as many of the tranverse ribs as possible as I am a big, big guy at 495#. Now you know the root cause of my concerns. I need as much open area as possible in order to keep my center of gravity low as I move around the boat and the factory add on storage areas compound this problem.

One last ? as this has gotten too long. For areas where gas engines are not allowed, most folks will use electric trolling motors. In addition, I would like to have oar locks installed, Rowing is not common these days but I would like to have the option. Could oar locks be welded on? I realize that aluminum would have to be used.

Sorry for the long post - I really need to receive someback-and will be most appreciated-Fred.

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    get the 115 hp merc for the 2072 grizzly also get the center con

its a very good boat and motor

:big_smile:

not sure about the other method from up front

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    maybe you would do better to get a big pontoon boat

4. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    please, DO NOT get stick steering, and tiller steering a 50 HP can be like wrestling alligators, which you very well could end up doing if you get thrown from the boat in FL.

get one with a steering console . HP is more of a personal thing I think.
    If you never intend to get on plane,you'll be plowing and eating fuel unless youre just putting around close to the ramp.

I think a 90-115 HP is a good choice, you say youre a big guy,you take that into consideration and tackle, fishin' buddy ,cooler, etc...and a 50hp wont push ya well at all.

What ever you decide my friend, I want to wish you the best of luck and enjoy your new boat :0a23:

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I have to agree with Barry , Stick or Tiller on any thing over 35 hp is very difficult. Center console is a good choice for full grow boaters. I have a side console and my brother says every time I'm in the boat by myself it leans so much to that side I have problems loading. To loan now I have to set in the center of the boat to pull onto the trailer.

6. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks-I had considered a 20' pontoon, but I really want to be able to fish shallow water and hauling a from Kentucky to Florida would be somewhat more difficult-visibility as the pontoon sits higher. And then the pontoon would be harder to load and unload by myself-Even though I admit that I may be better off with the pontoon.

For you bigger guys that have a 2072 or close, do you think I at 495# will be able to move around in the boat. I wish that I could find a marina that had one to try out. Don't worry about hurting my feelings-I need to know!

If one has the CC or SC, could you remove the seat shown in the pictures and use the across the boat seat that is part of the boat or will doing so place too much weight towards the back for the higher hp motors (and higher speeds)? Or can the console be positioned more to front in order gain leg and belly room.

I really appreicate the feedback this is the only place on the web that knows anything about jon boats-Thanks-Fred

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Fred, I think you would want to consider the center console. You'll find that the 2072 boats are very stable in the water. It takes a lot to make 'em move.

At 495 lbs. can't say that I really know how stable that boat will be but I'd say you have the right kind of boat in mind.

SeaArk has a bit better boat but that is just my opinion. Also you can even get a 2472 which should work out better for you.

Good Luck. Maybe someone in your area will offer up a test ride.

Also I think they (SeaArk dealers) will move the console forward if requested.

8. quickmichael

quickmichael New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I HAVE A BOSTON WHALER RAGE. THE BOAT IS 15 FT ,HAS A CENTER CONSOLE AND IS A JET BOAT. I CAN RUN IN 6 INCH WATER WITH NO PROBLEM. ALSO HAVE A JON BUT USE IT FOR POND FISHING. THEIRS REALLY NOT ANY WATER I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THIS BOAT. iT IS ALSO GREAT ON GAS WITH A 650CC ENGINE. THE BOAT WILL RUN 34MPH ACROSS THE LAKE AND HAS PLEANY OF ROOM IT MIGHT BE SOMTHING TO THINK ABOUT GOOLUCK

9. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Fred i just purchesed a 2072 grizzly big cat a couple of weeks ago and i have to say that the boat is very stable. althogh i have the side console, i would agree with some of the other guys about the cc. As for your ? about the weight in the rear you have to take into concederation the fuel tank is in the front of the boat (at least it is on the big cat).
    There is no doubt that seaark builds a fine boat but the Traker is no slouch, it all depends on what you are going to do with it, how much you will use it, were you will use it, and how deep your wallet is.
    I have no regrets with my purchase, and would have no problem taken you for a spin if you are ever in vicksburg, ms.
    hope ever thing works out for the best FRED!!!:smile2:

10. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    You might want to check on just buying the Grizzly 2072 L and having a console added where you want it. Also check to see if Tracker will add the bow mounted fuel tank to it. There are two differences in the 2072 Grizzly and the 2072 Sea Ark. Number one is the Sea Ark has about 3" taller sides and number two the Sea Ark is almost double in price. Construction wise there isn't enough difference to pay the premium price for the Sea Ark.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know where you are shopping but I got a better price (and boat) from SeaArk than what I priced at bass Pro for the Grizzly.

Might want to check again.

12. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys-please keep the feedback coming- Still on the fence about what to do-I'm leaving for Central Florida in about a week-I could head on without a 2072 and rent a pontoon every know an then and mostly bank fish. But it would be sweet to have my own boat.

Being that I have a Tracker dealer about an hour from me -I will probably choose the grizzly 2072-Folks have told me that this dealership has a very good reputation.

One thought is to get the plain jane-L version-Floor it with 2x's, add a small (30-40 hp) tiller motor, and a trolling motor and go fishing.-Just for getting around--Next summer I ,hopefullly would know more what I want and could upgrade to a more approipate size motor. Still need to know if this mode would place too much weight in the back. Keep in mind that I'm fishing the St. Johns River in Florida - Deland to Astor-and don't have to travel far.

I'm sure that I would take a beating on trading in the 30-40 hp tiller on a 90-115 hp. But at least I have time to gain experience and figure out a permanent solution.

Just for giggles-Buy a 9.9 kicker and plan on keeping?

Trolling motor Advice- I won't skimp on this-Thrust? -12 or 24 volts- Brand? reccomendations?

Oar locks-I know, I know that nobody else would consider them, but for areas that don't allow gas engines, they would be an excellent back-up for electric.

13. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    You can check any dealer that sell Sea Arks and I guarantee you will never get it priced low enough to compare to a Grizzly. Unless you go with a 15 degree hull from Sea Ark, you'll get the crap beat out of you in rough water.

Sea Ark does have more models to choose from that work well for catfishing. But if I were to go to those extremes I would have a custom boat built of 3/16", not 1/8".

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Welcome to the BOC. While I agree with the majority that SeaArk builds a premium boat, I also realize that it does not fit a lot of peoples pocketbook.
    If I were to be on a strict budget I would buy a used motor before skimping on horsepower. There is absolutely no way I would put a 40 on the back of my SeaArk. Granted it is 125 gauge aluminum and heavy, but it would seem to me with a 400lb plus guy, you would never be able to get it on plane and trying to look over the nose of a 20 foot boat with its nose in the airs is daunting at the very least, even standing, and dangerous to yourself and other boaters. Now a 9.9 is not a bad idea if trolling or low speed is your objective. If you are planning to row, you'd best check if they make a set long enough to be effective with a 20 foot boat.... I must say you are more a man than I (and I am not talking weight) if you have a hankering to row. You also might look into a long fuel hose and move the weight up front. IMHO with that size boat, I would equip it with no less than a 60 prop which would allow you approx 20-25 mph. I cannot speak for the stability of a Grizzly, when I compared the two, it seemed the Grizzly (same model number 2072) would fit inside the SeaArk. That said, you will not tip over a Seark by standig off to the side (I fish with 3 people [650 lbs conservatively]) and mine doesn't even feel like it tilts.

I would not skimp on the Electric motor. I believe mine is a MinnCota 46 lb thrust.

I would go with a side console. With your size I would thikng you will tilt a little but I would think that preferable to walking around a CC at rest with the dangers inherent to squeezing past the ceter. I love the room a SC gives me.

I have owned many a boat from a 9 ft jon, a little plastic pond boat, a 15 foot runabout, a 17 foot bass boat a 21 foot cuddy, a 24 foot pontoon with a 50 hp, a 21 foot bass with a 225, a 16 foot jon with a 40/30 jet, a 28 foot pontoon with a 90, and my newest a 2072 SeaArk with a 115/80 Jet. I have tried many but you are looking at the best IMHO type of fishing boat for small shallow rivers.

Good Luck, and once again, Welcome to the BOC

15. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Actually the Sea Ark is 2" shorter than the Grizzly. I guess looks can be deceiving...

Tracker Grizzly 2072L
    Length: 20'3"
    Beam: 95"
    Bottom Width: 72"

Sea Ark 2072MV
    Length: 20'1"
    Beam: 95"
    Bottom Width: 72"

16. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Shawn-thanks-I getting info that I need- In your case are all 3 guys on the same side of boat or is 1 acting as a counterweight- What about getting in the boat when tied up at a dock.

Safty-Showing my butt here-Why is boat that has not planed off more dangerous than one that is plane off. I would have thought that a slower moving boat is safer than a faster one-Did I miss something?

I can see the funny looks on everybodies faces when I bring up oars. Let me explain- Growing up my folks never had a boat-sometimes friends and church members would take me out on their boat-being poor I couldn't afford a boat or rent one but for 5 or 10 dollars a day I could rent a row boat-it worked for me then. Today, I am not wealthly, but am comfortable money wize and can travel and enjoy myself-retired last year and some new friends introduced me to fishing Florida style and I havn't looked back. Our favorite place is in a state forest that doesn't allow gas motors-That's fine I agree with the rule. I'm way too fat for a canoe, but a jon boat should work ok in the shallow water--This is why I want a 2072 over a pontoon-I know Florida has several state parks and forests that offer good fishing and for the most part, has the smaller water that I like-But no gas engines allowed!!! Keep in mind that oars would be in addition to electric. We are talking about creeks and small rivers-not crossing a ocean. As for using oars-One thing that has gone right is strength training 4-5 nights a week has paid off-I'm stronger today at 46 than I ever was as a 18-20 something hauling square hay bales and working in Tobacco. In case you don't know that was hard work.

Fred

17. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    You won't need the oars if you go with atleast a 70lbs. thrust trolling motor with a 24v system. Unless using oars is just in your blood, a trolling motor of that size is all that is needed in small areas. If you under power, then you will use lots of battery life and will get stranded.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Here is how dumb I am, I thought the beam was 94 inches. Maybe it is the height that makes it look different. I had 3 people with me and we all 3 commented on how small it looked. Of course it was a sight less money.... I think.

19. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    loanwizard,
    I have a 1650 Lowe Roughneck and when I and my other two regular buddies go out we total about 600 pounds of flesh and bones. Add about another 150 pounds of gear counting the 3 batteries. I do not have a gas motor on this boat. My choice of trolling motors is a 24 volt 75 pound with remote.
    Gets us around very well on electric only lakes. Would not try it on our Pitts. area rivers though as my only power means. I use two batteries for the motor and one for the fish finder. Caution. Do not hook up your 12 volt goodies to the motor batteries or you will fry them. I feel the extra cost for the 24 volt system was worth it. They also make a 36 volt motor but in my case that would have been over kill.
    Good Luck,
    George aka auctionman

20. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    opps, sorry. message was meant for shootandfish1 not loanwizard. It's hard not to make mistakes at my age!
    auctionman