Help, I'm cursed. (Long post)

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cubedweller, May 9, 2007.

1. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    By nature, I'm a very patient person. Historically, this has served my fishing interests rather well. However this season, my cousin and I (he recently joined the BOC, too) have fished several times this spring in varied spots around Kansas City, with little to no luck:
    MO River @ Kaw Point and Riverfront Park,
    James A. Reed Wildlife Area,
    Blue Springs Lake,
    Lake Jacomo,
    Lone Jack Lake,
    Longview Lake

We have used good bait:
    Live suckers,
    fresh shad (and frozen),
    fresh goldeye (and frozen),
    fresh and frozen chicken livers,
    frozen turkey livers,
    Stinkbaits (BeeJay as well as homemade varieties),
    Orient Express (cut mackerel with blood)

And our hardware is pretty solid -- I'm running 8, 10, and 12 foot rods with Penn and Shakespeare spinning reels. Line is everywhere from 20lb Stren to 65lb PowerPro.

So why can't we catch any @#*$@ing fish???

We're not stupid -- we make sure that our casts land in the water and everything most of the time. We tie knots and use hooks. We don't use any Snoopy floats (anymore...I lost mine). We don't dunk our bait in DEET. I no longer throw large rocks into the water to see who can make the biggest splash. Obviously, I'm kidding around -- but we're trying our best to bring some fish in.

I have even resorted to bringing along a bass rod when at a lake so that I can catch SOMETHING. As I said before, I'm patient -- but my patience is wearing paper thin. It's actually depressing. I think I should invent a new category of country music dedicated to songs about not catching fish. It'll be a mix of blues and country, with lots of swooning pedal steel guitar and lyrics like:

"My wife said it was alright
    If I stayed out all night
    And I couldn't get a single kitty
    To sniff my shad and bite

I had my lines all set
    It was a sure thing I would bet
    That I would catch a trophy blue
    And bring it back inside my net.

(chorus)
    Hang me up to dry
    I'll just hang my head and cry
    Because tonight I've been defeated again
    I've got no fish to fry

And I could write a verse
    About this dadgummed curse
    I could even use broken glass for bait
    And still not do any worse
    (/chorus)"

ALrighty then, maybe I am onto something. Maybe I can catch a laugh or two in the least. ;) But seriously folks, anyone got any tips/hints? I know they're all over the place here but I'm running out of ideas. Any help would be very much appreciated, especially if it helps me put a fish on the line. At this point, I may just start *gulp* bass fishing again.

2. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I feel your pain brother, but please.. don't even joke about switching to B@$$ fishing! (B@$$ is a 4-letter word that I refuse to even type! LOL!!)

I'm not sure how big of cats you are targeting, but you might try for smaller cats and then trying using larger baits as your success and technique improve. I've found that right now I can pretty much catch all the 3lb-5lb cats I want by using good ol' fashion Nightcrawlers. I'll switch to cut baits and live baits only when night fishing for a monster.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and about your song.... it's a good song... but... ummm... well... don't quit your day job just yet!

:roll_eyes::big_smile:

_

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i'm pretty sure most folks around here have sung those ol country blues once or twice. just remember not catching fish is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer... it feels really good when you stop.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Would you and your cousin do me the honor of fishing with me? I believe we'd make a triple instead of a pair!! Last year I was so discouraged, I could'nt even buy a bite. It mattered not what I used for bait,I even resorted to using:bad_smelly: :bad_smelly: :bad_smelly: shad sides in a jar! I had to use Latex Gloves to bait my hooks and I still could not get a hit! I can't answer your question in your post but at least you would know you have a BOC Sister that's in the same Boat as you,we could be depressed and I suppose somewhat bored (if you can't get anything except misquitoes and chiggars and ticks)to bite ya got to admit after awhile ya do start to wonder,"Well do they see me coming,and decide to swim elsewhere so ya can't find em??:crazy: :confused2:

5. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    I say we noodle next time man! Hold my ankles and I'll dive in head first...

:roll_eyes:

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right now the water is high so don’t get so discouraged. The fish will be scattered everywhere even up on the flood plains taking cover out of the heavy current. They will be eating anything from basic good old worms, grubs, crayfish to various berrys that drop from the bushes in the flooded out areas. They will be seeking cover under various log jams and anything with shade.
    It is very frustrating right now as we all are doubting ourselves as this is just an act of nature that will pass. Go back to the basics of using worms, shrimp, dipbait and even hot dogs of all things. The MO river is due to crest Sunday so as it starts to go down, the fish will get back to normal for our spring fishing routines. Stick to the basics!! Get out and enjoy the weather if anything. Atleast this will give us time for some of us to get together to get to know each other for when times are better here in a few weeks. Cuz and I for instance had a great time just to get out and get skunked even in the worst weather.

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Gee, Tony -- way to burst my bubble. :tounge_out: Curaaaapppp! You wanna make fun of my freckles, too? LOL.

In all honesty, I'm not after the biggest fish in the river/lake/aquarium at bass pro. (Oooh, that WOULD be nice, wouldn't it?) Nah, I'm after anything that's big enough to get hooked. I'll work my way up to the world record blue cat.

Thanks for the help, folks. Oh, and if anyone is an accomplished scuba diver who wants to boost my confidence, they can feel free to place a good fish on my hook.

Earlier this season, I was confident -- but if I were confident now, it'd just be foolish. At this point I'd rather be surprised than confident. :smile2:

8. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Tony has good points about going back to the basics and hitting the 3-5lb fish again. I think we should hit the smaller lakes and maybe go check out that new lake off I-70 & Adams Dairy to see what we can yank outta there. Hmmm...

Joke of the day:

MARRIAGE COUNSELING, OZARKS STYLE

Alex and Bill, two good ole boys from the ozarks, are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Bill says, "I think I'm going to divorce my wife. She hasn't spoke to me in over 2 months."

Alex spits, sips his beer and says, "You better think it over. Women like that are hard to find."

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm ready when you are...should've taken today off work after all, eh?

10. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Well if we both leave work now it takes 20 minutes to get home, 5 minutes to grab gear and 15 minutes to get to that spot...My guess is we can have a line wet by 2! :tounge_out:

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rule #1... There are no guarantees...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Those who want to learn listen; those who know it all interrupt.

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Ol' Man -- Thanks for putting things in their most simple and effective terms that even an idiot like me can understand. :smile2:I can guarantee that I'll at least TRY to catch fish.

Bill -- I've got one big thing that I'm trying to get done here @ work, and if I get that done pretty soon I might be able to split early without being in hot water. Then I'll call my other boss (wife) to make sure it's fine.:embarassed:

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look at the bright side.. Rain suits are going on sale! I picked up a real nice golf one for 30 dollars out at Dicks Sporting goods at West County Mall here in St Louis yesterday. Im waiting for that rain so I can go out side and do a comparison as these Frogg Toggs are very hot in the summer! Then again.. It will be summer soon and who cares if you get wet! Just thought I would let ya all know..

14. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    That's a solid deal, Vince! I think I paid too much for my raingear -- but then again, I've only used it a couple times this spring. Works great for sprinkles and mist, but not well in a downpour. However, it's just ripstop nylon and not full-on rain GEAR.

15. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Sat in my boat last week for 3 days in the rain. Rainsuits are good! Tore up a cheapie/went to BP Mon got their $29 outfit. Maybe that will cause it not to rain.:big_smile:

16. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Mike, here's the 64,000 dollar question: Did you catch anything during that three days in the rain? :tounge_out:

Me asking that question is like a starving person asking someone else what they had for lunch. I know that I'll break this slump eventually -- there will be a fireworks display when I do.:big_smile:

17. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Don't feel bad. I've been fishing the Mississippi hard since February, and didn't catch a fish until two weekends ago. Must of hit the river just right. Fished a couple days later and last weekend, at the same spot, and not a bite.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Alex I think we should get together and start a support group for people like you and I!!! I have been out the last four days fishing 5-7 hours a day, not to mention the last four or five weekends in a row... You know what I have to show for it!!! NOTHING AT ALL:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: I think another verse to your song could be;

Oh kitty kitty
    I bet you look pretty
    but you won't show your face
    I just want a look at ya
    maybe you could get a profile on myspace
    You're probably big I'll bet
    why don't you just get in my net

I'm just completely at a loss...I have tried everything I could think of...several times over and over...I just don't know what else to do, I am lost, a lost little puppy that is searching for the promised land!

About the support group, we could meet every other Thursday:lol: :lol:

19. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I nominate CUZ to be the Director of the support group. That is.. If he remembers to put gas in his boat for the meetings!

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Sounds like there's a story behind that!!! You must share!!!