Help identifing this catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fishmandm, May 30, 2009.

1. fishmandm

fishmandm New Member

State:
    Mill Spring, N.C.
    I have been catching a few of these in my minnow trap in a small creek near my house. I would like to know what kind it is.
    Thanks, Dwayne

Attached Files:

2. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC

3. fishmandm

fishmandm New Member

State:
    Mill Spring, N.C.
    Thanks for the info, according to mapquest you are about five hours away. I live in Mill Spring. I would be glad to give you one but I doubt you would want to drive that far.
    Thanks, Dwayne

4. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    yeah...5 hours is a little to far...

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
  6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Looks like a baby Flathead to me.. Not sure though..

7. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Looks like a baby flathead to me too.

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Definetely a stone cat/madtom. :wink:

9. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    99 percent madtom......1 way to know for sure.......grab it and squeeze it gently.......it if stings you its a madtom...........mack

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
  11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check out this site. I would guess a madtom too, but cant be sure from the pic's. This site will set you right though.:wink:

12. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i think they are baby bullheads!!!

13. horseshadow

horseshadow New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here in Texas that is what we call a mud cat. They are greenish yellow in color, and stink. Do waste your time with them; unless using for bait. I've never seen on over probably 10-12 inches.

14. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    looks like a baby flat to me...

15. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    That my friend is the best flathead bait in the world... THATS A MISSISSIPPI MUDCAT.........

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I believe Cherokee got it correct.......:smile2: Looks like a bullhead to me too. I used to think they were small flatheads when I was young before I knew there was such a thing as a bullhead.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lucky you! sure wish I had bullheads in the creek that flows through my land. I havent seen a bullhead since I was probably 10. ain't never used one for bait, but I've heard plenty rave reveiws.

18. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Could be a madtom, then again might be a small bullhead, it's hard to tell when they're that small, if it is a madtom you might want to check the regulations in your state before ever thinking of using it for bait or taking it for an aquarium, some species of madtom are protected in some states due to being rare.

All North American species of catfish hold a certain amount of "venom" or bacteria in their dorsal and pectoral spines.... that's why when you get "spined" it tends to hurt a little more than a normal cut or puncture wound, usually the most serious effect of being "spined" by a catfish is a little swelling and possible infection of the wound site.... madtoms supposedly inject a higher dose of venom when they spine you than our other catfish species do, not exactly sure if anyone has ever suffered any serious problems from it though.