HELP!!! I need advice on how to build a backyard pond!! please!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 13, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Help guys I was wondering if anyone has any idea what would be the easiest way to build a backyard pond? I am gonna build one i was wanting to know how big to hold small fish. and how deep. what do i need to do to line it? a tarp? any help I would appreciate it all thanks.

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Easiest way is to hire it done, not the cheapest, but the easiest.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mine was cheap but not easy I dug my hole kind of kidey shaped. Put sand in the bottom and used an old above ground pool liner for the liner. then put river rock and pea gravel in it with a store bought pump from Lowe's. It was roughly 12 foot long 8-9 foot wide and 3 feet shallow to 4 and 1/2- 5 foot deep. Its was labor intensive work for a fat man but worth it in the long run it added to the price of the home when we sold it than it cost to build.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I agree with Sam, hire some one to do it for you.

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ok.. I was kinda looking for a way to build it though I dont wanna spend any money.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

syart by diggin a hole in the shape you want. see if it will hold water if not you will need a steady flow and drain like a creek, river are spring to keep it full and to drain excess water out to keep it from flooding. If it doesn't hold water you need a liner. If you don't have a water supply you will need a pump and so on.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I am looking into building a pond in the next year. I have seen plastic tubs that you can bury and make into a nice pond with fountains and waterfalls. The small plastic wading pools for children would work as a good start. Die the hold, put a sand base and sit the pool in that. Then you could make a type of island in the middle with a pump under it and have rocks for the water to flow over, or make a run with the pump pushing the water from the pond to the top of the rocks and letting it flow back down. The size of the pump would depend on the amount of water you wanted to move. They can be found at pet stores, or even hardware stores. Best thing to do is draw out a few plans and see what looks good then go from there. A good one is going to cost though.

8. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    the best liner i found is for a inground pool if you have a pool company close by they will give you the ones they messed up on for free if you need any help just shoot me a pm i have mine on here listed under new bait pond ill be glad to answer any ?s you have

9. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    I made a small pond liner sand (level)water fall and some bluegils that have to be cought then I use them to feed the flatheads in the river

10. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    as far as a liner like i said the swimming pool liner is the cheapest way to go there is several liners that you can buy that is made for the yard ponds but they are high in price just dig the hole the shape you want it in and make it atleast 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep cut your liner and leave 2 1/2 feet hangover around the top of the pond after you fill it with water you will lay some stone around the extra liner and fold it back on the first layer of stone and then run a second layer of stone to hide the liner and finnish filling with water now here the the bad news you will hafta find out how many gallons of water it will hold (i can tell you how to add that up if you need to know) this is important because you hafta have a pump that will turn the intire amount of water every hour or it will turn green (if it holds 800 gallon of water you want atleast a 1200 gph pump) about the only $ you will hafta pay out will be on the pump and that is the most important part of the pond so dont go get just any pump get a BIG pump make sure it pumps more gph than the pond holds if you need any help feel free to ask ill try to help all i can good luck

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Type in "Water Gardens" in your search engine and you will find all kinds of step by step plans for building them. Everything you need to know is right there.

12. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My son built my wife a pond in the front yard using a new large sheet of rubber from a roofing company. He dug the hole approx 2 foot deep on the shallow end and approx 3 1/2 ft on the deep end. Before putting the liner in he smoothed the dirt and filled with sand as stated in other post. Make sure you leave enough lining on top to cover with large rocks to hold the lining in place. He did not put in a drain for overflow (when it rains). I have seen where other ponds have dug a small V at low end and put in a piece of PVC pipe and then overlap the lining on top of the pipe. We have had this setup for about two years now and have had several cats visiting the pond as well as an owl and a raccoon. We usually put our left over gold fish in here and they seen to last for approx 2 to 3 months. I guess the stress of the fishing trip and then the dodging and hiding from the neighborhood critters take their toll. We have had several Koye since the pond was built, and there are starting to get rather large.

13. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also forgot to mention that we run two pumps in our pond. One is a small unit with foam covering the intake. You will need to pull the foam off and rinse it out when the water flow starts slowing down. The other pump is much larger and is a submersible type. It does not have a filter. I made my own. Here’s how Take a new 3 or 5 gallon bucket with a lid and get a thru-hull fitting (at BPS $1.99 to $6.99) with the size diameter close to the inlet pipe on the pump. (May need to purchase a threaded nipple for pump) Get large bag of lava rock to fill bucket.
    Drill 8 to 10 small holes (approx 1/2 inch) into the lid and then drill a hole so the threaded end goes through. I put a rubber washer (from the left over rubber lining) on the bottom of the bucket, and thread the nut down snug. (Nipple end pointing out) put short plastic hose on nipple (Clamp) and then onto pvc pipe. (Clamp) Put another short plastic hose on other end pf pvc and attach to inlet end of pump. Wash lava rock and fill bucket, and put lid on submerse and you’re set. This set up has worked for about 3 to 4 months before needing changed. Pour out old rocks wash and replace, or replace with new.