Help! I have no idea what I am doing.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by back channel, Jun 13, 2006.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just got my Okuma SD 20L Baitcasting Reel from CC. I have never used a baitcasting reel. There were no directions on how to use the reel so I am lost.

Questions:

1) How do you spool the reel?

2) How do you adjust the setting?

3) How do you adjust the tension setting?

4) How do you cast with this reel?

5) The baitclicker, there own and off, when in the off position and I reel in the little line catcher thing does not move, why?

6) When in the on position the line getter moves why?

7) How is the baitclikcer used?

As you can see I am a total idiot when it comes to baitcasting reels. But I need major help and would appreciate any answers to these questions or just general tips and hints on what to do.

Thanks,

Scott

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Scot there is a thread in the library on using a bait caster. Also get with some one who is profecent with one as wel

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Id say the best way to learn is to find someone to show you. It took me a while to learn Ive now been useing them for years and pretty much all i use. If I was you I would invest in some cheap line tell you get it down.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Ok, it definitley sounds like you need some help :wink: But that is what the BOC is here for. First, we need to establish that these are your reels and what everything is called:

[​IMG]

Look that over.

Now to answer your questions.

1) I find it easiest to attatch the reel to a rod before spooling. It doesnt matter what rod, just some rod with at least 1 eye, because that is all I use. Now, take your spool, make sure it is flipped where line falls of of the top. Take a pencil or something and stick it through the middle of the spool, and set the sides of the pencil on top of something that will let the spool rotate ([​IMG])

Now that you have done this, you need to thread the line through the closest eye to the reel, through the level wind(See the reel diagram , and [​IMG]), and tie an arbor knot around the reel arbor/spool ([​IMG]).

After that, keep pressure between the reel and some part of the line so the line so it doesnt kink itself up, and just begin reeling. It may take a little bit for the line to catch on the spool, but after it does, it will be all easy going. Fill the reel within about 1/16 of an inch from the edge of the arbor/spool.

2) By adjust the setting, I assume that you mean drag. To increase the drag, turn the little star shaped dealey behind the handle forward (clockwise, when looking at it), and do decrease, twist it backwards (counter-clockwise when looking at it). Adjust it to where you feel comfortable the line will be ok. You can do this by pullling a little of the line out of the spool while it isnt in freespool.

3) The tension setting is how much weight must be put on the end of the line in freespool before line begins being taken out. To adjust it, simply do the same thing as you did to the drag (clockwise to increase, counter-clockwise to decrease) on the little gold knob BEHIND the drag star.

4) To cast with the reel, turn the little freespool lever (what I think you mean by baitclicker) to the 'off' position, and hold the spool still with your thumb so line doesnt slip out. Bring the rod behind your head, or to the side of you, and cast like you normally would. About half way through the cast, release the pressure on the spool so that line can be cast out (do not completely remove your thumb, keep it rested on the spool, but dont put pressure on it). When the bait hits the water, put more pressure (but not too much) on the spool so it slows the spin of it down. This takes some getting used to, and you will probably mess up more than once, so get some cheap line (cajun red cast, which you can get at wal mart is good) and practice with that. If the line gets tangled up, thats what is called a bird's nest, and you can pick them out, usually, but you may just want to cut the line out of the spool if that happens.

5) I think in this question you may be confusing the bait clicker with the freespool lever. To understand, you have to realize that when the spool moves, the levelwind/line catcher moves. When your little freespool lever is in the off position, the handle isnt connected to the spool, so the spool doesnt move. Because the spool doesnt move, the levelwind doesnt move.

6) When your lever is in the 'on' position, the spool IS connected to the handle, so when you turn the handle, the spool will turn (to reel in line) and will turn the levelwind too.

7) The (true) bait clicker is the little gold button thing on the side. What this does is after you have cast your bait out, you put the freespool lever into the 'off' position, and turn it on (push the button towards the bottom of the reel) and when a fish takes your bait and runs, it will make a clicking noise to tell you. To turn it on, push the button towards the bottom of the reel (down) and to turn it off, push it up towards the top. It should make a small click noise to let you know that you have done this right.

Now after all this, I hope that you can gain enough understanding to at least begin using your baitcaster. I really hope it helped :big_smile:

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I see that Travis has beat me to it, maybe I've added a little to help to.

I don't have that particular reel but I'll try and answer best I can. I started using baitcasters when I was 10 (now 40). Answers are imbedded in your questions below.

Hope some of this helps.

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Scott, Travis gave you some great information. There is a couple of things I might add. First, use a thicker line until you get the hang of casting. I was taught by Gene Chambers that, when casting, cast upward in an arc. It will give you better control and less "professional over runs" (birdnests). Gene told me to set my free spool tension to where your weight will slowly drop as you hold your rod horizontal with the ground. When casting, he told me to hold tension on the spool with my thumb, and as the line feeds out ease up on the tension while the line is in the arc, when the weight starts to head down toward the water, start increasing tension back on the spool with your thumb. It has worked like a charm for me with my Penn 980 and Judy has learned to do this on her Penn 155 as well. I hope this helps buddy.

7. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    It looks like everyone posted great tips, enough to write a pamplet in fact but I can not stress enough: Practice,practice,practice! Enjoy your new baitcaster!:wink:

-M Welch

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
  9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere

10. snagger93

snagger93 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sorry but I'm as bad off as you are

11. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You guys have given me some great info. Thanks.

Scott

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One thing to add.
    Every time you change the weight of the rig YOU MOST CHECK THE ADJUSTMENT OF FREE SPOOL TENSiON BEFORE CASTING. Even changing the size of bait will effect the performance.
    Just don't get discouraged keep trying you will master it .
    We all still have backlashes once in a while.