HELP, I have a tropical fish problem!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, May 29, 2006.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a 3 spot blue Gourami(Benny) that is sick.He has a cloudy film with spots on one of his eyes,other than that he seems healthy.I also have several Columbian Tetras,Rosy Barbs and a few others in a 55 gallon tank.I've not had any problems with any other fish,and they all seem healthy and happy and all are abt 2 years old.I'm wondering if this is some kind of fungus or what.I don't think this is ick as it is only on one eye and not affected any other parts or fish.I tried to get a pic but it wasn't clear enough to make any sense out of.All thoughts and/or ideas will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose him.Thanks All!!!!!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks,I'll pick up some medicine tomorrow and try that.

3. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Yeah that sounds like (white spot ichthyophthirius) turn off all filtration and treat with meds. Something is stressing out the fish, the water quality might be it or the wrong kinds of fish together?? Many things can cause it.

Also look on amazon.com for some cheap fish books. I have bought a few sometimes you can find them real cheap.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If it is not a spot or speck, look up a deasese called udinium. This stuff is wicked, I had it in a 55 gallon tank filled with south american cichlids and it went through one speices at a time and killed them before I could stop it. It will start out as you have described and it doesn't take long for it to spread, be quick about trying a cure. My mistake was, I thought it was Ich and boy was I wrong, it cost me over 200.00 in fish to learn that one.
    If you have introduced a new rock or log into the tank that was not boiled before puting it in the tank, this is one of the ways it can be brought in(accidently). It comes from bird droppings on the Items. Read up on this stuff, It is very intresting reading. They do have medications for it at your local pet shop. I would check this out before I emptied the tank. treatment is a very long process.

5. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana

I agree with Arlington and another thing I would do is raise the temp. of the water about 3 or 4 degrees.Some times this seems to help with the meds. Good luck

You might also try a little baking soda in the water.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    OK,I've done a search on his symptoms and the only 2 things I've found are cataracts and pop eye.Neither one had pics though,and they are both treated different.I did a partial water change this morning and added the normal chemicals.I don't think its ick,and i checked out the oodinium JW,and I don't think thats it.Its just the gourami's one eye and no other parts of him or any other fish are affected.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I just got back from catching a load of shad(abt 41 dozen),and got some medicine to treat fungal and bacterial disease.By tomorrow,I should have a quarantine tank set up for him.I hope this helps and it hasn't started spreading yet.Wish me luck or should I say wish him luck.