HELP! How to clean a spoonbill?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by stubbylong, Apr 7, 2009.

1. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have tried several times to clean these things, I try to cut around the tail and do the twist and pull but every time, the tail just ends up twisting off, what am I doing wrong?

2. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    You cut through the cartilage behind the head first and when you cut around the tail go slow so you can feel when you get to the cartilage. Then you want more presser on the pull than the twist. Always easier to show then to tell. I will see if I can find a vid to post.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have cleaned my share of spoons and the question Or answer has elluded me...
    What is exactly happening with the scientifics around pulling the spinal cord out...Actually bleeding may benefit, hang from head bleed from tail..

Tell me the exact benefit of cord removal,,,is it just a hand me down

I have done it both ways and Zero difference

Bleed and filet. then cut into steaks ,and trim redmeat fat and skin all in one swoop ,like cutting fat off the outer edge of pork chops

4. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Or.. If your near Twin Bridges... take the fish to the cleaning station, hand it off and walk away with a bag of filets! :smile2:

Not being a smart *ss, but just wanted to throw that in! I have always done like the Possum says. Cut it behind the head, cut the tail and pull it out, and then cut off the fins and take home the large loaf of spoonbill. When I get home, I'll cut into steaks and then cut around the outside to lose the skin and red meat.

Good Luck!

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow Jeff. That must be one of them high doller edumacatiun questions.lol. Just kidding bro. As you said,done it both ways. Probably has to do more with the way a person learned how to do it. I was taught how to clean one by pulling the spin out and cutting into steaks that way. So just easy for me to do it that way. So since I always want to learn new things, I would be more than willing to let you come down and show me how to clean all the spoons I catch this year.lmao.

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I hate cleaning them...I was thinking the spinal removal trick is to keep the women home...my wife groses out over that .

How about the cookin' part...
    My first one was a thought process, Man what a greasy chunk of meat, how to cook greasy meat???
    Well grilled over open fire with wood, season with creole seasoning and grill till golden on outside and serve.

By the way i will be at kaw dam tomorrow