Help! How do I find Catfish in this lake full of catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by deer74turkey, Apr 24, 2009.

1. deer74turkey

deer74turkey New Member

State:
    LaPorte, Indiana
    I know, my title sounds weird but I really do need some suggestions. (Fish Lake in Fish Lake Indiana). I have caught several large channel cats 6-8 lbs. in earlier summer, late spring due to them spawning in a dredged out hole. After that time period I am unable to find them. The lake has a mucky bottom and ranges anywhere between 5 ft. of water to 50 ft. I have tried what I thought to be the obvious places but no luck. Any ideas?

2. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the brotherhood. I would look for the creek channel and fish the flats around the channel, place your bait on the flat near the channel.

If

3. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the brotherhood. I would look for the creek channel and fish the flats around the channel, place your bait on the flat near the channel.

If the oxygen is low they might be suspended, you might try using and slip float.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Matt! You'll get all the answers you need here! You may want to check-out the threads in the Channel Catfish section.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. Out of my area.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I would fish seasonal structure. Late spring and early summer fish shallow water (2-5') close to deep water. In the late summer fish structure that is deeper (15-20') in fall you will find the fish in a transition. You will find them deep and shallow, you just have to chase the bait to see where the cats are gonna be. Dead of winter you will find them in deeper water most of the time. I will fish structure that is 30-50' for channel cats. The key to all of my fishing is some sort of structure. Look for standing timber, channel edges, humps, large rocks, grasslines, or even just a place where the bottom type changes from gravel rock or mud to some thing else. Good luck, Time on the water will give you better answers than we can, but that is somewhere to start