help hooking the tree worm

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mr.catfish15, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mr.catfish15

Mr.catfish15 New Member

State:
    ohio
    what is the best way to hook catapa worms for pay lake fishing

2. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    take a 4 or5 o hook and thread it on from tail to head use a cork if you have to

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Best to cut them in half. They work better that way then whole.
    Pete

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know some folks use a wood match, pop off the head and turn it inside out.

5. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where did you get catalpa worms?

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    run your hook in one end,bout 1/2 inch,then bring it back out run it back in and run the hook down to the end and let the hook stick out the end.lets the juices leak out into water and leting the hook show helps keep the perch away.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We cut catalpa worms in half and start the hook from the head and turn him inside out on the hook.......deadly bream bait

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yep, Pinch them in half ... starting with either the head or the tail ... run the hook cross ways through the end ... then push it wrongside out up onto the hook .... when it hits the water hundreds of little white flakes come off of the worm. You will notice in the photos how white the inside of the worm is .... in the photo I am using a number 6 hook for blue gills .... but have caught not only bluegill, but bass, rock bass, crappies, and many channel cats on them.

Garry- :cool2:

Attached Files:

9. Mr.catfish15

Mr.catfish15 New Member

State:
    ohio

10. Mr.catfish15

Mr.catfish15 New Member

State:
    ohio

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I remember my grandparents gathering these and bagging them in the freezer to be thawed later for use when there weren't worms on the trees. They weren't as good as the fresh but still a good bait. I could be wrong but it seems they were in some sort of liquid when frozen... maybe the worms on juices? Hrmm. Anyone else do this? I'll ask my Dad if he remembers if they had a special mixture to freeze them in.