Help, Help! Info needed on this rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by back channel, May 10, 2006.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is probably a dumb question but it stumped me:

I am thinking about getting a shakespear tidewater rod XH see link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat390001&id=0011494312177a&navCount=42&podId=0011494&parentId=cat390009&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat390009&hasJS=true

Question:

Is this rod a castiong rod that I could put a baitcasting reel on?

Would this be good for big flats? I will be fishing from the bank using heavy weight.

Will I be able to cast out very far with this rod?

Thanks,

Scott

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think it is more a boat or pier rod, expecially with the "roller" eyes. Those are for BIG fish, and I believe, mostly salt water. I think I would do a little more looking and evaluating before purchasing this rod if it will not suit the purpose you bought it for. It (the ad) just don't say, and I would be hesitant.

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    scott,you should check out the ugly stik tiger rods.these rods are super heavy duty and will be able to hold whatevr comes their way.for bank fishing with heavy weight and wanting to cast far, you might be looking at a 10 to 12 foot rod.

4. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I've got a 10 ft berkley glowstick that I use with the okuma classic pro 302 that I was telling you about. It can cast a long way with 3-8 oz on it. They aren't real expensive and I have never had any trouble with it. You might also check out the longer nite stick pro's or the shakespeare ugly cats. They are all decent rods.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Looking at the photo it is a trolling rod, and with the first guide being a "stripper guide" it will cut down on you casting distance by about 30% or more.

6. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the info. I figured that I probably could not use it but wasn't sure. I have a 10 ft glow stick and I just needed something to pair it with. I was looking at the tiger rods and they look really good.

Thanks,

Scott

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Save your money and get an ugly stick!