help help i mean really this time

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by richmondherperman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Ok i have bin fishing the kanawha canal for flatheads with live bluegill and i can only get to a tiny little bank and i am sealed in by fallen trees i will get pics soon and i have pulled up on live bluegill 2 bass 1 bowfin 1 channel and i know there are huge flatheads and on cut bait 1 channel 7 blues from 3 to 112 pounds 1 bowfin and 1 27 pound flathead the place i casted to is not sealed off by a fallen tree.

I know the place is full of carp and bluegill and i do not know what to do with the flatheads i have fished the day night what and do you think the blues in there will get really big i do not know how they got in there up locks that have not bin used in 150 years things like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_River_and_Kanawha_Canal

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The blues are being introduced by WV on the Ohio river so some migration is possible. The Flathead catfish are natural and you should be able to grab some big ones out of there. I know some good fish were taken out of that river at the Cabelas event and that was during the daytime. Keep on hitting deep structure during the daytime and shallow flats at night. You will tie into a monster soon .

3. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    The ohio no the canal was never done it was 100 some years in the making and they just could not do it it go's some 40 miles and if it did go in the ohio that would make the western US much more then it is and the james would have all the fish of the mississippi river like paddle fish.And flathead have only bin in there since the 70s like blues i just don't get it for the blues flatheads and channels to get in there they would have to go up many locks and grates.And i am new to flathead fishing i have bin casting out in the middle as far as i can or at night right in the cover is that the probe at night and the day the place where we got the one flathead i can not cast to anymore do to a fallen tree.

4. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    One more thing is it worth blue fishing in there are there going to get big i mean over 30 50 pounds.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Andrew.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Andrew. Sorry I can't help you.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC andrew, you're breaking up a little.

surely you don't mean you caught a 112 pound blue catfish???

I am no sage voice for flatheads having only caught like 3. but flathead fishermen are thick here on the BOC and they do occasionally give out sage advice.

if your near brush piles near (but not necessarily in) deep water, at night, with live bluegills IMHO your in the game! The trick is to find the best place and spend some serious amount of time at it.

And lastly if you've caught a 27 pound flathead; your not doing bad, not even for west virginia.

8. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    I ment to say 10 to 12 pounds and do you guys think that there are big blues and the wood i have bin casting to and i still don't get bites or if i cast it out in the middle i thing it was made to be deep for the ships to get thew.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ask flatheadwillie he from your neck of the woods he can help you i reckon

10. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I find that at night close to the bank is better for flatheads.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well, I'm working on finding some helpful information

I really dislike you dnr webpage! aughh. to think I use to live in that state.:angry:

now about 20-30# blues. I rather doubt it; the current record blue catfish was a 24# cat caught in the ohio river. I wouldn't count on catching a fish bigger than the state record.

if I dig up anything more I'll reply. just as a bit of advice, a states DNR is always a good place to see whats going on...
    some clues about where to go and what sizes they are from the survey.

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ohh am I bad.. you are in VA

and hey I have been looking at the wrong place!!!!

this canal ties into the james, of course...

now there's some whopper blues in the james.

new search!

13. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    boy thats rough.. no mention of the canal in the DNR...

perhaps any big cats out of there get counted as one of the innumerable big fish of the lower james??? (or upper james for that matter- that place is full of cats)..

isn't this canal start right near richmond? thats where google showed me it was? if you fish down there- why don't you give a hollar on this thread here-
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92842

these are flathead guys in richmond.

if you are fishing near richmond, and there's no information about the canal perhaps it because it newhere near as good as the regular james river. perhaps its just a 'beginner spot'.. if so, then I'd say you've grown out of it if 20# cats isn't good enough.

lots of if's in this post. wonder if its helpful.

lunch is over, good luck.
    over and out Jason

14. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    I will get pics within the hour and do not know how the cats get in there they would have to go up all sorts of crap.

15. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    when I go to look at your picture.. it asks me for a login.

anychance you could upload it to this site, to make it easier to see?

16. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    nope i dont have a myspace i still cant see them get a crayon and draw a pic

17. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well, now my work spam blocker isn't allowing... no worries if people can get in the see it, you're good.

myself, I rather doubt there was anything I could say by 'seeing' it. I'm rather shocked about how little anyone has to say about the fishing in there. Is it a bad place to fish or just eclipsed by the lengendary james river?

But I'm still alittle vague about what you are asking.. do you want tips on catching flats?? do you want to know if BOC brothers have fished this canal (not likely, since no one has replied)? do you want to know if there's bigger fish in there than your catching??

the last question might be the hardest. If there's little to nothing on-line (there doesn't seem to be much by the way), and no regular poster in the BOC fishes it. than your left to guess- or personally contact your states DNR and see if they have any more information.

I still think a clear question should be made in the VA forum. some guys don't visit the 'all catfishing forum' (espacially the big triphy flathead guys).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

if all these things fail,

you can just consider my situation, andrew. No one has anything to say about local waters where I live. I've been guessing hard all year and have put nearly 200 hours of fishing. my PB is a lowly 6#er- but a fish you find yourself wieghs twice as much! I consider myself a pioneer. the next guy who fishes the upper alleghany will get more information than I did! and if he's nice about it, prolly at least one fishing trip with me.

no doubt everyone with 50miles of your location fishes the james river, but this canal being less pressured; might be a real fun spot. the james is prolly a big boat kind of waterway and not even fishable from the bank. So don't expect a JAMES river monster in your little canal. But if you can stay on the bank and catch some 20#ers, that lots of fun and money in the bank- since a boat is so danged expensive.

18. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Perhaps you don't know how to upload a photo...

if not I could help, I have some screen shots of it here somewhere. Either way no worries, just want to be helpful.