Help! Help! Frog Catcher

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Abu65, May 25, 2007.

1. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am looking for a place to buy a frog catcher. The kind that grips the frog. Does anybody know where I can find one at?

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    About the only place that I've seen them lately is at Bass Pro Shops.

3. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Is that so people can catch them without giging them to get the legs, them release them unharmed?

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was born with 2 perfectly good frog catchers. My hands. I prefer a gig, but my hands work almost as well. Gotta be quick!

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a net. when they jump into the mud in the water, keep a close eye one where they settled down. they can be very well camoflauged. once you see them sunk into the mud with their eyes closed, hold still and slap the net onto them. I have caught them with my hands also but a net is better for reaching farther (avoiding spooking by getting too close)

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a great frog catcher. It's .22 caliber but you can get it in .22 magnum if you prefer. LOL

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Billie, if I can find some ponds, I'm going to try a 17HMR for them this year.
    How do you shoot them when they're in the water?
    Do you shoot the frog, or do you aim just in front of it, somewhat like squirrel barking? I'm partial to the "barking" myself, get to see a frog go flying.

As far as my regular frog outfit, it's a bass flippin' stick with a plastic worm.
    Will

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a flash light and look for their eyes which light up at night. I tape a light to the barrel and try to shoot them between the eyes while they sit on the banks. I have also used a fly rod with something like a "Joes Fly" which has a very small treble hook. Dangle it in front of them and they will grab it with their tongue. Works great!