Help getting my nephew his first Flathead

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishinguncle, Jun 22, 2007.

1. fishinguncle

fishinguncle New Member

State:
    South Eastern Indiana
    First, I want to thank all the members for the wealth of information on this site.

I am new member and I was hoping to get some advice. I was born in Cincinnati and I now live in Batesville Indiana. I use to fish quite a bit 20 years ago....school, work, school then work, work, work and some more work took me away from the sport I once loved as a young man.

However, I just started getting back into the sport recently to help teach my nephew...his dad for medical and other reasons was not able to teach my nephew about fishing.

I was hoping some of the members could help me with getting my nephew his first flathead....he loves his great aunt's farm pond...but the young man has gotten a little bored with the bluegill and bass...he wants to become a catfisherman and I think he would give a right-arm for nice size flathead.

I am looking for some help in the Southwestern, Ohio or Southeastern, Indiana.

Any help would be much appreciated

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC Ty, I'am not from your area so i cannot offer you any advice...But there will be plenty of member's who will ... so good luck.:big_smile:

3. fishinguncle

fishinguncle New Member

State:
    South Eastern Indiana
    Thanks Catpaw...from all the past posts, it appears to be a solid group of folks

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

He wouldn't have to necessarily give his arm, but if he can handle a bit of pain take him noodling. This time of year is prime noodling season.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'm glad to hear that you are wanting to spend the time to teach your nephew a great sport. i'm not from your area, so i'm not real familiar with your local streams and rivers. But, i have fished many different rivers and streams, and i think that one is as similar to another to another. If i was to take a first timer i would go buy a decent pole, you can buy a rod reel combo fairly cheap at Wal-Mart. doesn't have to be anything fancy. something he is able to cast and use, like a spinning combo maybe. you can teach him about the drag, and how to loosen the spool so the flatheads can run with the bait. pretty simple setup. ( this is what i started with). the rod can be a med/heavy rod. i would say to spool with good line line big game 30-40. test. then, look for your basic riffle, hole and run on your river. riffles are shallow feeding areas that hold plenty of baitfish. , usually the hole is a staging area for the fish during the day. (the deeper water) and the run or some call it a flat is your straight section of flatbottom until the next shallow or hole. once you have found this, i like to setup between the riffle and hole. sometimes right at the head of the hole, sometimes it may be 100 yrds between the riffle and the hole, setup somewhere in between. Bu this is a travel area, and i feel to better your chances you should try to intercept them by getting between the two. even right below the riffle can be productive. you don't need deep water to catch flatheads. the runs or flats i have caught fish right at the tailout of the hole, but mostly have wasted time fishing these areas. they hold fish, but i have done better with the other. other things you could look for that are very important to flats are structure, exposed and submerged...timber or rock. almost always hold something... eddy areas that may look different from the normal river flow, these attract baitfish and holding flats from the main channel or current... i could write you a book, but im sure some of these other guys can help you maybe alittle easier than what i'm telling you. hope i was some help. goodluck to you and the nephew...rollo

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The only thing I can add to that is to use live baits, whatever is legal to use there. Here I use small carp, bullhaeds, gills, bass, crappie, chubs , suckers, heck I even used a baby gar once. (didn't catch anything on it)
    I like catching these baits from a stream instead of a pond, cause they seem to catch more flats for me. But the main thing is to have live baits, You'll need some 8/0 to 10/0 hooks To hold them, 3 to 5 OZ sinkers.

7. fishinguncle

fishinguncle New Member

State:
    South Eastern Indiana
    Daniel,
    He is kinda on the small side...I am afraid they would not only take his arm...they my eat him whole:smile2:

8. fishinguncle

fishinguncle New Member

State:
    South Eastern Indiana
    Rollo,
    thanks for the good info....I bought two 7ft MH Catmax poles..on one, I put a catmax baitcaster on the other I put Abu Garcia C4...both have 25lb big game with 30lb spiderwire for leaders.

I got the 7ft MH poles and the 25lb big game because I am not to far away (50 minutes)from an excellent Musky spot here in Southeastern Indiana...a 16 acre gravel pit lake that is spring fed...the last IDNR electric shock count had over 170 Musky and Tiger musky....I am hoping the gear can server double duty.

Again thanks for the info

9. fishinguncle

fishinguncle New Member

State:
    South Eastern Indiana

Thanks S man...I purchased a casting net and used what I caught Saturday night on the GMR...no lucky unfortunately...I think it was the spot , not the bit however.