help geting started

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ROB_STANG2000, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ROB_STANG2000

ROB_STANG2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went out last Saturday night at Carlyle and came to the conclusion that I don’t have any idea what I’m doing I tried stink bate on a treble hook and shad on a big #4 with a heavy weight about 11in. from the bait. Didn’t do any good in the lake, and lost lots of gear on the rocks on the spillway. If you can give me any help or guidance that will be grate I’m new to this thanks

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you may wanna check out the catstock gathering going on at carlyle the first weekend of august. go to the member gatherings section and all the info is there. if anybody can help you with carlyle, those guys can

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

4. the_whisker_hunter

the_whisker_hunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    never fished there.. but need one more post ..sorry for the wasted time and space lol

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    dont worry. we all waste a bit sometimes. theres a few guys from around there. if ya dont know that ocean down there its tough. i fished it at two gatherings once from land second from boat. not a bite. and wont fish it again. gathering ya. fishing no.:smile2:

but the locals can help ya. the north end from what ive heard is good catting and a railroad bridge area. north end is shallow and full of stumps and structure. ive never navigated it.

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey partner, welcome to the BOC. I’m glad that you came across this site just as you were starting cat fishing. So many people go through life cat fishing the same way and never making improvements. Heck I was one of them until I caught wind of the BOC and hooked up with some good mentors. I’m no expert, but I’m getting better.
    Try to improve your game all the time. Find someone that really knows how to fish and just plug into his/her mind. I would start by going to the member library here (http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=184). Tons of great info in there. I love reading the threads there. There is a ton of knowledge right there at your finger tips. And of course, anytime you have a question just ask. You’ll get many answers and many view points which are extremely valuable.
    Good luck and we’re glad to have ya!