help - fresh water lake fishing pointers needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by vandu21, Jan 7, 2010.

1. vandu21

vandu21 New Member

State:
    Lincoln Ne
    kinda new to fresh water fishing, was looking to see if i could find someone to go to the lake and give me some pointers. wold appreciate all the help i can get. i don't do bad when i go out, but i'm sure with some good help i can do much better

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA Steven.

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I fished almost all of them salt lakes while I lived in Lincoln for 13 years so I can help if needed. But you tell me what lakes you'll be fishing and I'll help you out the best I can. It's been two years since I've lived out there but a good friend of mine always fishes them lakes so like I said let me know and I'll help where I can. AND........welcome to the USCA

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Welcome to the forum! Alot of guys are hibernating away from the frozen lake and forum that live around Lincoln,there might be a couple around now,but stick around and learn and come spring alot more guys will be signing in from your area. But if you have any specific questions,ask and we'll answer the best we can,some of us ice fish also so of us don't,jst have to let us know where your interests lie, Also we are having a sinker pouring party in Central City, Ne. this month and you are surely welcome to show up and join in the festivities, we'll be making lots of sinkers and spreading lots of knowledge(see also BS'ing) check on the sinker pouring thread for more info,once again welcome!

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I hear branched oak lake near lincoln has BIG BIG catfish..Theres salt water lakes in lincoln???

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Don't go swimming there, you could get eaten alive.

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city

mako sharks i heard... catch em through the ice right now on road runners..... lol....

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
  9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    There's pretty good catfishing in most all of the salt valley lakes,Branched Oak(BO for short) has a nice population of catch and release only flatheads,some with some decent size to them. You'll find most of the others have a decent enough catfish population and sizes to hold catfish tournaments on them and most have at least one tourny each summer. Finding a lake isn't hard and almost every Nebraska water body hold catfish. Many baits work well and you need to gear up for the size of fish your after,meaning the rod,reel,hook(s),line,bait size, that I use for channel cats are not the same rig I use for flatheads.I commonly use 10/0 and larger hooks for flatheads,where as that would be a little overkill on eater size channels. This summer give me a shout,we'll try to set up a small get together to catch some fish and talk catfishing,if your interested. Come out to the sinker pour on the 23rd and you can get alot of info quick and easy,later.

10. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Whjere at branched oak or salt lakes..lmao

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    The whjeres have large teeth and they love blood.

12. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    lOL...Never mind i looked it up online...I knew branched oak was in the Salt lake chani..But it didnt register and i was thinking he meant a salt lake like a saltwater lake..lmao

13. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    i use 8/0 on everything found out not to big for the eaters and not to small for the bigger fish but yet again i use the same setup for every situation also bigcat m/h 40# mono 1/0 swivel leader with some kinda 8/0 hook either gammakatsu octopus circle or a gammakatsu octopus straight alot of times in '09 found a team catfish 8/0 double action bad azz hooks their i might say... i also want to thank scheels in lincoln for having them team catfish hooks when i was in need of some hooks for a tournament it was the only place around that had an 8/0 hook and a good on at that

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the USCA

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Dallas what are you doing up at this hour?

16. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    same thing we are ..... can't sleep voices in my head says "there are fish to be caught"....lol
    now we know why this thread is called "help"

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have some ass hole neighbors who think it's ok for their teenage brat sons to stomp up and down the front stairs at 1 in the morning. That's ok I had the cops here and they had a nice talk with them. And about a week ago some new idiot moved in above me with a small child running and stomping at about the same time. I have a complaint filed with HUD about them having a child living there without a bedroom for said child. I'd love to drive these people back through Texas to the lousy country they came from. Who in their right minds keeps a small child up till 1:30 in the morning? I'll bet they don't like my stereo at 7 am.

18. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    You think it is bad that there up at 1:30...Thats when they go shopping at walmart!!!Go to the Councill Bluffs wall world at 2:30 one mornin and they will have no shoes on and no pants in the middle of winter!!!!!

19. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i got off work at 11 pm saturday night came home got the kids and the wife when to blockbuster and McD's came home watched a movie with them and ate then played donkey kong and donkey kong Jr with my 8 yr old till 3 am.. had a serious blast doin it too.. then again i work from 5pm to 5am tue-sat so i dont get to see the family too long .. im sleepin their at school or work or im workin and there sleepin. so Saturday nights if i happen to get off early its one of the few moments till summer we get more then a hour or so to hang out together...

as for having loud neighbors... i dont live in an apt. nor will i for that exact purpose. if i want to be loud and have some fun i dont want it to only be if someone else thinks its the right time and place.

dont get me wrong a bit of common courtesy would be nice from your neighbors since your sharing a residence.. then again a bit of consideration on your part for the same reason would be nice too..

i got 3 bedrooms and 4 kids 2 share a room and 2 get their own... yea that means i dont get a door and instead of a living room and a family room we only have a living/family room. well we had to lose one of the 2 ya know so the other is now 2.

Ya make the best with what ya got, you do what ya can with what you can get. ya dont start out on top and sometimes ya gotta deal with crap to get to where ya wanna go.

so cant we all just get along?? nobodies perfect we're just tryin to have some fun.