help for the fishing challenged...new guy..me

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by ae_ted, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

I am from Ballard County. Had a 14' Jon boat and trailer give to me. After paying $66 in back taxes and replacing the wheel bearings, painting, and putting a wiring kit on the trailer, taring out the rotten wooden flooring and replacing the transom and re-riveting( amazing how many "boat" dealers don't know what a aircraft(or boat) rivet is or how to fix one) the transom brace back; I got the boat and trailer up and going. Had a old 72 Johnson 6hp that had not been run in 7 yrs, got that tuned up and running for under $200. Thanks to the guys at Old Bait House in Paducah for that...geat and very honest guys to deal with!!!!!!!!! The boat came with a old depth finder that would turn on but cant read the numbers....I guess the screen is shot.
    Had soem real crude jugs from yrs ago and went jugging above Barkley Dam near Eureka campground between the 2 small islands there and was fishing about 2 to 3 feet deep with nightcrawlers and large minnows. From that trip I learned I cant fish for squat! While drifting and watching the jugs float(no biting), I used a bottom rig and drifted with that using a minnow and had the same great success(NOUTHING)
    So now for the new guy that cant fish for squat questions;
    1 what depth finder for under $200 do I need ( for ky and barkley lakes, and for Swan lake in Ballard county(about 6 to 7 ft deep and full of big head carp)
    2 has anyone used "
    Ryno's Noodle Jugs" and what do you think of them.
    3 I think i need to upgrade my jugs and this seems like a good set up
    4 any help for a fishing challenged new guy is greatly appreciated!!

:roll_eyes:

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    1....goto cabellas, basspro or any of the other websites out there and they all have good depth finders for sale...for my jon boat i have a hummingbird that is made for float tubes and jon boats...its kinda cool cause it is portable and i like it a lot for my little rig....

2....if i were you i wouldn't buy a bunch of jugs there are a lot of people on here that make their own... for a long time i just collected old beach containers and what not and painted them hot orange so i could see them well and used them... the library on here also has lots of threads that you can learn from and much better ways to make your own jugs than what i just wrote...

welcome to the BOC use it correctly and you can learn a whole lot....dont be afraid to ask questions because thats what everyone comes here for to learn and pass on knowledge....

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC.

Everything sounds good. Might try different depths for the jugs and change your bait. Try live gills or fresh cut bait.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.Try using some cut shad from drifting. And on your jugs make the lines alittle longer. I usually fish my jugs from 2-10 feet. Then i have some jugs that will touch bottom. Good luck to you out there Andrew

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Depth finder I can't help you with I don't own 1 . Jugs qrt. oil jugs 2 to 10 ft of line . I use 3/0 circles you may want bigger circle hooks . Flour. Orange jugs . Name,adress, on them . Stay with them . I fish Barkley tailwaters,lake and cumberland river some . I have had better luck jugging the river down torwards Dycusburg . Some spots to try Bank fish @ The prison and poplar creek have run trots across lake from prison and next point down lake from prison . and port authority . If they are pulling water thru the dam you will have better success . If you jug the river call tva .This is what my cousin does who lives down there does... 18 to 24,000 is the numbers you are looking for much more than that is to fast Try the currents during the day to see how your boat motor does and KNOW what they are running . Make sure your motor runs well . Barges come and go and YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT OF THERE WAY ! Hope this helps .

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ted.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i'm sorry though it was someone i knew !!!!!!!!:roll_eyes:sorry welcome to b.o.c.

9. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

Thanks for the welcomes!!!
    THANKS for all advise!!! I can use all I can get...keep it coming.
    as far as the jug question, I was asking if anyone has used Original post made by Michael Ryno(Catfish Addiction) on May 31, 2005 that I had found on this forum and how that jug design worked. As someone from Ballard Co, I can help with the Ballard lakes and Swan lake. But I have no experience and REALLY APPRECIATE all the help i can get for ky and barkley lakes above and below the dams. Sad, but I think the Ballard lakes have been ruined by the big head carp, I dont see anyone fishing there anymore. 2 weeks ago at Swan lake, i never saw another fisherman. I caught no fish but 3 gar...I did however boat (they jumped into boat...once 2 at a time) 4 big head carp for about 30# of fish. by the way...those ......."fish" MESS up a boat big time. it makes catfish slime seem like a cakewalk to clean up.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Those carp are dangerous and a nuisance and yes they are taking all the plankton that all species of young fish need to survive Irradicate them! The bow fisherman have been doing a good job below Barkley dam . Sad thing is now they have turned there attention on Paddlefish and are just banking them and leaving them to rot . Leave the spoonbills alone if you are not gonna eat them (my Opinion ) Cut those carp up and try them as bait let me know if it works ! I post a Barkley report before and after I go maybe we could fish somewhere some time .

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ted Welcome to the BOC, from So, Illinois.