Help for lost fisherman's family

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by GatorT, Jun 18, 2009.

1. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    As many of you may have heard, either on the news or on here, my best friend, Rick Granger, went out fishing on Monday afternoon, and did not make it back home.

There are many, many people who will miss him terribly, but my main concern at the moment is for his wife and two little daughters. They had depended on him for their survival, and were totally unprepared for this to happen, as so many of us would be.

Someone was kind enough to suggest that we set up a fund for people to donate to in order to help the family. That is a wonderful idea, the only problem is that I don't have any idea of how to go about doing that.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help.

We could easily post an address to where people could send what help they could - or, perhaps a PayPal account would be better? Or both?

If any of the BOC staff could get ahold of me and help me figure out how to go about doing this, then that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Ronnie, I am SO sorry to hear about Rick. My heart goes out to his family and friends, along with my thoughts and prayers.

Here are the rules/requirements regarding fundraising on the BOC; hope this helps.

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52631

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Ronnie give PAUL a call ,that would be the quickest way to find out the info u r needing

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    maybe we could have a donation box or something at the upcoming Wateree tourney. Maybe shoot Marty or Jeff Green a PM and ok it. GatorT I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are heart broken to lose your best bud as well as an excellent fishing partner. He will be missed greatly!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ronnie were sorry to hear the sad news about Rick. Our thoughts and Prayers goes out to the family and friends.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ronnie...........sorry to here of your friend, my thoughs are with you and his family. It's a good thing you are trying to do.

Danny

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    The best way to do this ...have the wife set up a account at a bank as a memorial fund rasier for her husband and all proceed's will go there to help the famliy out .God Bless...Sorry i meant to post this last nite but was unable too.

8. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GOTOR T, Sorry to hear about Ricky. Our Prayers are out to his family.

I can make 50 of these decals for free for his wife to give away for donations or something. If she would need more she can get with me. All I would ask after the 50 is my cost. I don't have much cash but I can offer that. Let me know if I can help in this way. Sorry, Blake

Attached Files:

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Blake those look really good! If you decide to make them I would like several, happy to donate a fee for them.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sorry to hear of the lost of your friend. It is a good thing your trying to do and it would be nice if we had something like that here.

11. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would like to just make them and send them to someone else to distribute them. I don't want to handle any money.

12. amybaker

amybaker New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thank you Ronnie for all that you have done for my brother and my family. Nothing will ever be forgotten. I know how hard this has been for you please know that you are in my prayers also. Love Ricky's sister Amy

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ya'll got your hearts in the right place, thats evident. Somebody let me know when and how and i'll be glad to contribute what i can. Meanwhile prayers for your loss and for the family.

14. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Amy - I didn't do anything that Rick wouldn't have done for me. As you know, Rick and I were brothers, not just friends. Hell, I named my son after him. That's Granger in my profile picture with me.

For that matter, I didn't do anything that ANY Granger wouldn't have done for me. I love you all.

And I still feel like I haven't done enough. Never will.

Rick's family was THE number one thing, above all else. He and I talked about you a lot. That boy loved you. And was proud of you. More than you'll ever know.

Let me know if you need anything. Let me know if you want anything. I'm just a phone call away. You have my number.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help..."

Have his wife or sister contact their bank / financial institution and have the bank set-up a memorial fund for the family. This will insure that it is done in accordance with the law and help avoid any tax problems. :big_smile:

Also, the funeral home that handles the service should be able to offer you some advice on handling charitable donations.

Generally, taxes can be avoided if it set-up as an educational fund for the children, but if it is to be used by the family at their discretion it is generally taxable income. :wink:

In these situations it is best for everyone involved to allow someone like a bank, or other charitable organization, to handle the memorial gifts to avoid any problems or issues down the road.

16. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dieter thanks for the info ,:cool2:

when they get it set up gator t let us know an post it on here if that's allowed if not pm me the info please

17. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Well, apparently, I'm not going to be able to post the information about the fund that was set up for Rick's little girls. The post that my wife made was yanked off.

So, the only option I'm left with is sending a private message to anyone who is interested in helping out. Just let me know, and I'll send you the information about the fund that has been established in the little girls' names.

Thanks to all of you for your good hearted interest in helping this family through this difficult time. It really means a lot.