Help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by alpal16, Dec 6, 2008.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Guys---I would like to start fishing for some walleye, but have never pursued them before. How would one go about fishing for these fish? What are some of ya'lls go to tactics/bait? Any help would be greatly appreciated:wink::wink: THanks a lot in advance.

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I fish the Ohio river below the dams and do well with 3 inch twist tails and shad bodies on 1/4 ounce lead head jigs. You catch mostly sauger but you do catch a few eyes to. Sauger taste just as good as walleye though.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    First of all, let me welcome you! Then let's get to the meat of things here. Walleye aren't tough creatures to figure out, it's more of a structure/water temperature issue to figure them out. If you have a known producing body of water, that helps in the first place. Also you need to realize that walleye spawn a LOT earlier than a lot of other fish, so you have to plan where the fish will be accordingly. For instance, if the bulk of other fish are running up to the dam on a river system in the spring to spawn, walleyes are already done. However, shad, shinner, and minnow runs should NEVER be overlooked, because walleyes will sit in the wings right behind them to fatten up!

A few good go to baits. Live baits are best for starters, you can tip a jig(size depending on current, water, and presentation wanted), with a minnow, leach, 'crawler and work it on a fairly tight line to pick up even light bites. If your current is a bit slower, you can also drop the jig all together and just fish a minnow under a slip bobber. Personally though, a fireball jig in moderate current with a minnow has been a "go to".

The artificial bite can't be denied though, especially if you want a little more of a challenge, and are plain out looking for the more aggressive fish. Jig and grub combinations can be deadly! For beginners, strong contrasting colors usually work best. Orange/Black, yellows, chartruses, and white are all good "go to" colors, though sometimes I've seen where they like blue mixed in too, but that's not as common in the waters I've fished. Combinations of the colors have worked the best for me. For example, a orange/black jig with a 3" white grub tail. Experiment and see what works best on your waters.

Also for working deeper pockets, a deep diving crankbait can be SUPER effective on a strong bite. Wally Divers, and Rapala Tail Dancers are two of my personal favorites. Remember to "match the hatch" and always have a couple of strong contrast baits, that will trigger when a natural pattern will not. My best walleye ever I caught trolling on the upper Mississippi with a 4" Orange/black backed Wally Diver.

I see this is getting pretty long, and I've really just touched on a few of the basics, but it should help you out, if you didn't have any of this info already. Oh, and one good tip, ask local fisherman and tackle shops about techniques that might be working and you can save yourself a lot of time "experimenting".

4. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you can,t find any live bait try a long thin piece of cut bait. ( skip Jack will work ) put it on your jig head. make the end of it thin enough for the current to make have some movement.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to drag bucktails across the bottom if the bite is slow.
    If the fish are more active I'll run crankbaits low and slow.
    Sometimes I get them on jigging spoons.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like using live minnows on the bottom

7. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Welcome aboard. Great advice from the guys so far. I've fished for Walleyes all my life and Ken just about said it all. I just have one more tip. I've started using the shad body swimbaits this year and have had great success. I bought the Shad head mold and lots of bodies through Barlow Tackle this past winter and they have produced great, as soon as yesterday. 3 Walleyes and 5 Saugers on the 4" and that was in the Yough River.

8. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey--Thanks a lot fellas. Gives me a lot to work with. Now I just need to find that time to get out on the water:wink:

Really appreciate the advice!

9. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN

Well Conrad pretty much pointed out all the important stuff. Just thought I'd add alittle of what works for me on the body of water I fished for walleyes: Lake Winnebago, WI and the Wolf River. I don't know what type of body of water you have in mind as far as lakes, rivers, etc.

Like Conrad said, Jigs tipped with live bait (fathead minnow, for me, is a personal fav.) is dynamite for just about any situation. If I'm jiggin in a lake, I look for rocky reefs or any other humps in the lake. I like to start at the upwind/upcurrent side of the structure and drift down over it. If it produces fish, I will maneuver the boat back to the top again until the bite goes away.

My personal favorite method for catching walleye is trolling, especially when you're on a large lake like Winnebago and you have alot of water to cover. Theres two trolling methods I use. The first is of course with crankbait. What works for me are Rapala Shad Raps, Storm Thundersticks, or Smithwick Rattlin Rogue in either Chartreuse, Blaze orange, or Firetiger (the waters I fish are pretty murky). The shad rap in chartreuse produced my biggest walleye so far, a 8 pounder. The other method is slow troll a nightcrawler spinner harness attached to a bottom bouncer. I've found that you don't HAVE to have a nightcrawler on it, I've tried Leeches with pretty good success as well. They seem to love the harness here.

Good luck and have fun! They're some of the best eating fish out there!

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I use pink and chartruse tube jigs with a crappie minoow on the hook part ...works like a charm and you can catch all kinds of other fish with the same tactic.:cool2::big_smile:

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I appreciate the info, walleye fishing is new to me, its a little different, I didn't catch any decent size ones either. I'd start with live minnows on a slip bobber, or slip sinker. I always prefer live bait, but they do bite on artificials, I just don't know what.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    another good bait is the shad rap.i like the number 5 or 7 in perch or crawfish colors.