help for a bank guy

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Motopro00, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I just started fish for cats this summer with some success. I have a couple spots for netting bait but I have not got a skipjack. I fish the miss and off the bank. Other than dams (never been to one either) I don't know how to find them. I fish on wing dikes all the time. Do they hang in the water around them? I know a guy who uses a boat to fish around barges with crickets. I can't get out there. Any tips for a bank guy?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if ya have a cast net use what ya catch where you fish..thats what they are eatin, good luck bud

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    use a sabaki rig for skips...i dont know if its true, but i have been told from a reliable source that skips cannot be netted with a cast net effectively. they are so fast that they can get out from underneath it. so i just stick to conventional rod and reel for my skips....

4. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i am heading to bass pro right now. how do you rig up the pole for sabaki rig? i'll just buy a bunch of stuff and try it out? Any luck cautching them off dikes?

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The rip-rap around boat launches at the river, and below the dam is best. You can toss jigs with grubs or throw a sabiki rig which can be bought very cheap at walmart or bass pro.:wink:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

did not know that..dont have them around here thanks

7. festus

festus New Member

Another good spot to find skippies and shad is near culverts with rip rap, especially where a little current is present. I know a couple of such spots, one is my favorite because if the baitfish isn't on one side of the road, most likely it could be on the opposite side.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to rig a sabaki rig is really easy, the hard part is getting used to throwing them depending on how many jigs you put on them. you can buy them prettied like AJ said or you can rig your own. i attach a swivel to my main line so that if i hook more than one they wont twist the main line up to bad. take a leader at least 4 feet long (this will vary depending on the amount of lures you want to attach), tie a surgeon's knot at the top (or what ever you want to attach it to the swivel) then go down a foot, and attach your first jig or grub, then go down another foot and attach your 2nd jig/grub, then repeat until you have 3-6 jigs/grubs, then attach a weight 1 foot from your last lure you are then ready to go. throw the rig out as far as you can, and retrieve it really swiftly, sometimes i will give it a twitch as i am reelling it in.

Attached Files:

9. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    thanks jeremy. That is what I was looking for. I am thinking I am going to go to wal mart and get some gigs or what not. Do you or others try putting different gigs and sizes on one leader? Or stick with the same one's? I really want to bag some skipjacks. I have two dams I know of but never been there before. That is on the miss that is. Can you find them in smaller river dams also? thanks guys

10. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    What a thread motopro00. I like this one very much. I too have been wondering the same exact questions. Great info brothers, thanks for sharing your knowledge to us noobs.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I net them but not many and they are not very big. I do tend to get 1 or 2 each time and sometimes I can get 50+ but the ones I net are 6" long at best. One time I managed to get a full net of shad with a 14" skip in there but that is by far the exception to the rule. I have not used a sabaki because in Ohio you can only have I think 2 or 3 hooks on a line.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hey guys check out The B.O.C Library .Most likely you'll find everything you want to know about skip jacks and how to rig lines.
    Also check out you Reg for your home state on how many hooks your allowed to use.I was thinking Mo says two but don't {quote }me on that.Don't get in trouble using to many.
    Have fun and be careful out there.

13. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    john i think with out being a star member we can not search the library? I went ot bass pro today and they had a bunch of the sabiki rigs. I bought 5 pack of them at different sizes. I will look up the regs here to see if it is ok. I am thinking it is ok in missouri. On the mississippi river at least. I can tell you its easier to buy the rigs than make them. They were 2.50$ a pack. :big_smile: I am going out tomorrow. The river is high but I am going to give it a shot. I'll let ya know if I have any luck with the rigs.

14. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    What exactly constitutes a "crappie" jig. I've seen many jigs, even the white tailed grub, but don't know what a crappie jig is.

15. festus

festus New Member

A crappie jig could mean several different things. Most of the time they are about 1/64 to 1/8 oz in weight with a light wire hook that will bend and pull free from brushpiles. It could possibly be a plain leadhead jig you can add a twistertail or paddle tailed plastic bait. Then again, it could be a hair jig, nylon jig, or maribou feather jig. Another crappie jig is the small tube jigs that are scaled down versions of the tube jigs so popular for smallmouth bass. And you can also fish a plain leadhead jig with a live minnow.

16. fireman6x9

fireman6x9 New Member

State:
    Phenix Cit
    Ok I distinctively remember the Maribou feather jig, and that's what I think people use to make their Sabiki rigs. I'll get a pack of those and a pack of the grubs. Trial and error I guess to see what works best.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been tying my own rigs for years now. Because for the price of 2 or 3 sabaki rigs....I can buy lots of crappie jigs and make my own rigs. I start by tieing a 1/4 oz jig head on the bottom, with a curly tail.....then my next jig is a crappie jig with hair which weighs 1/8 oz.....then a 1/32 oz.....then a 1/64 oz....followed by a small barrel swivel at the top. By tieing them this way....they stay tangle free and work great. I keep several tied up in the tackle box wrapped in a sandwich baggie and ready to tie just one knot at the barrel swivel. We've been catching skipjacks for over 30 years this way.....works great.:cool2:

18. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I tried out my sabiki rigs today. I first tried a home made one with white curly tail jigs. I put 6 on a line and 1/2 once sinker on the bottom. I got the dang thing snagged on the second cast. Lost it and put on a store bought sabiki rig and had one fish chase it to the bank. I didn't catch anything with it but I am going to get this figured out. I was fishing down river from a old wood wing dike in the water brake. I used the smallest one you can buy at bass pro shop. So no luck yet.:confused2:

19. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info. How far apart do you tie the jigs and what pound test line. I plan to start making my own because I break so many casting up and down the river bank on snags, gars, and big Asian carp. Thanks again.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Hey Dave....I start out with a 5 or 6 foot peice of 20# mono....and I space the jigs about 12" apart. The reason for the heavier mono leader is,it can take lots of abuse and usually outlasts the jigs! Also if you get snagged up.....with the heavier line you can usually straighten out the wire hooks and just bend them back when you get it in. One other reason< I started using heavier leader lines is because one time I hooked into 3 skipjacks at the same time and a huge striper followed it into 12" of water and took off with one of them and broke me off. So I switched to heavier leader lines which work well for me.:wink: