Help fishing Ivie

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by haligan225, Mar 17, 2008.

1. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    I am planning on trying to fish Ivie this year. I live in Brownwood, but rarely get over to Ivie. Mostly because Im not familar with the lake. Any help in areas to fish for catfish and crappie would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is planning a trip to Ivie and would not mind some company, I would be happy to help out with some expenses, etc to be able to tag along.

2. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Ivie in my opinion needs to be fished for catfish in the cold winter months. Have tried summer etc. and the alligator gar are unmerciful as well as the duck weed and under water plants. I would fish the trees right along the river channel and go from there. We usually fish in 45 feet of water and have 3 to 4 rods a piece one 8 feet, 16 feet, 24 feet, and lastly 32 feet. When a fish strikes we adjust our rods to that depth. We fish at night under submersible green lights using minnows. You will catch around 15 to 40 Crappie with half of them not making the 10 inch length requirement. We do not fish rod and reel for catfish we usually use Jug lines. On 01/13/08 we caught 3 fish over 40 lbs. one of which weighed 48 lbs the other 56 lbs. Snap shots are posted in the store. Will be there sometime around the middle of April and will be spending the night more than likely in a tent or in my truck. They have a motel there it cost $50.00 a night. And they cook a damn good breakfast and hamburgers.
    Carl R. BRaker

3. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Mr. Braker thanks for the imformative help. I will definately give that a try this year. Maybe I'll see ya over there in April. Thanks again.
    Dave Thomas

4. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Fish lake ivie all the time for catfish.

I trotline, jug and use drops.

I plan to use mainly rod and reel in a couple of years after I retire.

There are some fishermen that use exclusively rod and reel.

Fishing is starting to pick up with the last rains.

I fish for all three species of cats and will be happy to talk to
    you about what I do on the lake during the various times of the year.

cell # 325/998/0312

Jay

5. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the imformation Jay, hope to talk to ya soon.

6. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Bob, Thanks for the imformation, where abouts are you in texas.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    hit the shallow timbers in around 5' of water in grape creek. Barely chum and use a cheese flavor, for some reason the cats on ivie just dont like danny king's BLOOD.

8. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the imformation James. If you get back over this way holler sometime.