Help Fishing Deep Holes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by river1214rat, Nov 17, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Tomorrow (Sunday), my boyfriend and I are going fishing down the Ohio River to places that are much deeper 62-70 ft instead of the area, West Point where we have fished all summer. Average depth 20-30 feet. We have been trolling with the depth finder and have found deep holes. Here are my questions: 1) Ohio is up and the curent is very swift. Do we try to anchor or use the trolling motor to stay in the general area. 2) WE make our own sinkers, but not to the weight that we need for this depth of water. Unable to find any big enough at the tackle shop closest to me. Can I rig up 4-5 2 oz sinkers and if so, how? I do use circle hooks and shad for bait. We do have toilet paper in the boat just in case we are able to catch THE BIG ONE. LOL LOL LOL! We have learned so much this summer and fall since becoming a part of the BOC community and would really like to hang into BIG BUBBA. Thanks in advance for any help. :0a23:

Linda

BE SAFE

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Linda I dont know that area very well, so I'm hesitant to offer anchoring vs drifting pointers for you. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out. Tight Lines to you and your boyfriend tomorrow.

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    :0a21:I just posted this under another site, but I think I need to post it here. I fish on the Ohio River in the West Point area. Average depth is 20-30 feet. Going down steam tomorrow where the depth is deeper ( 50-70 ft) and need suggestions from my experienced brothers. first of all, the Ohio is up and the current is very swift. I have read the big blue kitties like these conditions. 1.) Do I anchor or drift and use the trolling motor. 2.) Weight of sinkers. We make our own sinkers, but none as heavy as we need for the swift current. The heaviest sinkers we have are 2 oz. can we tie 4-5 of these together? and how??? Do we then out the sinker on the bottom and rig a line with the bait above the sinkers, how far up should the bait be??? WE are using a bigger and wider boat than our 14 ft v-hull aluminum boat and any other suggestions would be helpful. I use shad for bait and use circle hooks. We also have a roll of toilet paper on board just in case we catch BIG BUBBA...lol, lol, lol. I cannot exprees how much the BOC has meant to me since joining several months ago. I love to fish and love the Ohio...the knowledge I have gained from you, as the commercial would say, is priceless.

:0a23:

Linda

BE SAFE

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From what I have been learning lately this time of year the blue cats are in the deeper holes out in the main channel that hold structure. You can anchor down at the head of the hole (upcurrent side), and cast a few lines in the beginning of the hole or on the outer ledges. If this doesnt work try drifting through the hole a few times.

You can sit and mark fish on your graph all day long, but the trick is to find the active feeding cats. So you would want to be able to recognize which holes are also holding shad. Chances are the cats in these holes are feeding on them.

For swift current 4-8 oz sinkers on a slip sinker rig would work ok when anchored. What ever is enough to hold your bait on the bottom.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    im with wolfman on this i was on the river today the water is running good it took 8oz to get the bait down in 50feet of water today if you have a good fishfinder start looking for dropoffs an down trees in the holes in about 40 to 60 feet deep most of the time you will nt find very much trees in these hole but when you do there should be full of fish a lot of time im looking for the deep hooles that have alot of humps in it the fish will lat inbehind these humps to get out of the fast moving water wying dykes are a good place to look at this time of year

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda you'll prolly wanna try the current seams rite now . acurrent seam is where the fast water meets the slower water ,find this tpye of area close to a bank and you should catch some fish. throw you bait in the current side and your bait should settle in the hot spot

good luck steve

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Anchor fishing is the best way to go, use 6-8 ounce bank or flat bank sinkers. Drifting in that kind of current is useless.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These two guys have hit the nail on the head.
    Anchoring on a current seam is the way to go right now.