Help! Fish keeps getting off!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Acebusa, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    I am new to cut baits, but It seems to get big hits, the only problem is i cant set the hook! I am use to liver and worms, with them I would be anchored off, and have my pole in a holder, once it bent over the hook was set, and the fight was on. I have used shad head this week end and the last couple of nights, I would get a big hit, then I would pick it up give it a jerk to set the hook, and would have a fight for about 5 sec. then he would get off, This happned 5 times, and no fish, what am I doing wrong, should I let him run for a bit before I set the hook?

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    what kind of hooks are you using? how are you hooking the shad head? do you have good hook point exposure? It could also be turtles or small fish.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Sounds to me like a gar.

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I had the same problem when I fished in AR last week. I had an awesome run, rod bent double, big fish. I reeled in on him, pumped the rod, and in less than a minute he was gone. My fishing partners told me it was probably a gar. For some reason you can't get a hook into those damn things.

I don't have those problems here in PA, and we don't have many gar either.

It is frustrating, my friend.

5. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    Definatly not a gar, It is in a Lake i fish often, no gar in this lake, not a small fish either, almost lost my pole it took it hard, hook exposure may be the issue, I hooked it through the center about throug the gills, maybe the bait is sliding down and pushing the hook out of the mouth. Should I setup a trailer hook, or just get better hooks? Never had this problem with liver since its soft and hook exposure is a sure thing.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Be sure the hook you are using is big enough to hold the bait, AND provide enough space to hook the fish as well. Make sure the gap between the hook's point and the shank is wide enough.

Livers are softer and can be forgiving if the hook point is covered in the bait. Other baits will stay on the hook and may be blocking the point or the gap causing you to not be able to hook the fish.

I hope this helps!

7. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    heres the way i hook a perch head on an 7/0 gama circle hook.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    How big is the shad head?..If it has any size at all you need to go with a hook at lease a #7 up to a #10 Oct Gamakatsu, (needle sharp and strong enough to pull a boat.)

I hook the head though the eyes, or a 1/2" down into the back portion of the top of the head. You should'nt have any problems getting a hookup IMHO.

Hope this helps you out.:wink:

Mikes setup is a good one too!.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. Acebusa

Acebusa New Member

State:
    mo
    Great info, I like the pic, I only had about 1/6" hook exposure, I was using just a straight up j hook, 5/0 it is a good size shad. Thanks for the help.

10. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try the Strike King Whisker Sticker Hooks.
    They are very sharp, and have two barbs on the end to nab those pesky little short biters.
    They work very well for me, but the hook is a little hard to get out at times because of the double barb.
    The other info you got on hook exposure is good info also.

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    just up your hook size and make sure there's no scales for it to get hooked into. I like to go thru the eyes, or like that pic showed for heads.

12. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Bigger hooks are better! Sharp hooks are better! If you are going to keep the fish Treble hooks may be better! Big, sharp, treble hooks may be the answer, a trailer (maybe a big, sharp, treble) may be the answer. Just my $.02

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree i like those hooks as well and one thing about them,once you got them hooked you dont have to worry about them coming off.Ive never lost a fish on one of those that i can think of.the gamma octopus hooks are a good one as well.

14. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Sounds like gar or hook exposure. You could try filleting your bait this will make it easier for a catfish to swallow. Try to hook just enough so that on your cast it will not fly off (meaty portion). Also you could try a circle hook so the fish doesnt swallow the hook. If im having trouble missing fish i just start using fillets it seems to do the trick. Also if its gar and you have bait when you reel it in you can tell from the way it tears at the bait.