Help First Time deer hunter in KS?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mdspoula, Oct 29, 2009.

1. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I plan on deer hunting in rifle season this year and would appreciate any tips on deer hunting and how to successfully tag one. I live in Kansas and see them all the time when I drive to work and even have hit a couple with the car. Is public hunting areas like Walk in Hunting good to go to? I don't care if I get a doe or a buck just want to try the hunt and the meat to see if the family likes it. I also want to do all the processing so I know how it should be done and I don't get tainted meat. As a catfish fisherman I feel it is important to be able to clean the animals yourselves. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    shouldn't be to hard to bag a deer in Kansas.:big_smile:

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    my best advice to you is to find someone you know who deer hunts and hunt with that person,there is too much to tell,ya got to learn from experince,at least the basics.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I agree 100%. Living in Kansas, you're in Whitetail heaven!! Hoping you've practiced proficiently with the weapon and accustomed to it. Take ethical shots. Proper field care is important. Myself, I have a reputable meat locker where I take mine for processing. No problems there.

Good luck on the hunt and hoping you fill the freezer. Deer meat is of very good quality. Lean in fat content and very healthy for you and the family.

Enjoy it very much!! steaks, jerky, sausage. Love it all!!:big_smile:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with the others, learn what you and your gun can do. If ya can't find a local to show ya how to process a deer holler at me and i'll write step by step how i do it. That will take alot of writing.:smile2: Venison is delicious and good for ya. Wish i had a Kansas tag, you could hunt with me.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodluck to ya!!!! rollo

7. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    If your gonna hunt public, stay in stand all day! The mistake that most people make hunting public land is that the best time to hunt is when everyone else is getting in and out of the stands and walking around. They will get the deer moving for ya.:wink: Hope this helps!!

8. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well,
    I used to be in the Army so shooting is no problem and I got a Savage 111 30-06 to use. I have a friend at work who put out some apple corn on his property and used his night vision cam. He filmed one 8 pointer and about 5 does last night. He said myself and a coworker can come out and bag one so hopefully that will up my chances at success and won't have to hang out in a tree stand all day. I could definitely use a lesson in the processing though and would appreciate anything that I can get my hands on. I am thinking about buying a video on the subject if all else fails. It would be cool if someone put a tutorial with pics on the BOC.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you are going to process your own deer, don't neglect to "age" it. Hang it in a cool place for about 5 days to tenderize the meat. It makes a big difference. The best beef steaks are aged for up to 21 days. It allows the enzymes to break down the fibers in the meat, making it much more tender. If you don't know how the butcher meat, it is best to take it to a locker plant or have an experienced person help you. You can waste a lot of meat if you don't know what you're doing. Good luck to you!

10. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, I am asking people that I know show me how to do it. I wouldn't think hanging the whole thing outside for 5 days would be good with wild animals that can get to it. I have a shed I could probably hang it in. I have read that it isn't that big of a deal to do with a couple of knives and a bone saw. Not sure processing is such a great idea since they mix everyones deers together and you never know who's deer your going to get back. I have heard that you could get one from someone that gut shot it and ruined the meat. Of course I am a do it yourselfer.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know what kind of locker plants you have there,but the two I use never mix up people's deer. Each one is numbered and cut up in the order they come in. Everyone gets their own deer.
    Contrary to the old wives tale, gut shooting a deer DOES NOT ruin the meat, it only makes it harder to find your deer! After gutting, the cavity should be washed out throughly. Any blood shocked meat can be soaked in a salt water solution to remove the blood. I use a spray bottle with a small amount of bleach and water to spray the inside of the cavity and any bullet wounds. Leaving the hide on during aging prevents bacteria from destroying the surface of the exposed meat. Any meat that gets dried out can easily and safely be cut off.

maybe this will help!

[youtubevid]uzYGBNDc_xU[/youtubevid]
    [youtubevid]9cUvY9Ingwg[/youtubevid]

12. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Matt, Its my feeling that the kill is just half of the sport of hunting. Hunt with a friend.When your not hunting B.S. talk about the hunt, talk about the girl that got away.The food tasts better,jokes are better,The meat will come to you.Enjoy being in the field.Be safe and have a good time. If you get a chance to camp, a deer camp is the next place to heaven.
    smokey

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  13. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for finding these very explanatory videos. The ones I was getting off youtube were just how to field dress a deer.

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ask around mabe even a fellow KS BOC brother can give ya a hand. Also if ya ant got a meat slicer. Ye ol elec fillet knife makes short work of cutting deer steaks.