Help finding the appropriate rod for large baits

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by blackburnian, Sep 28, 2006.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I am upgrading my equipment for catfishing and even after hours of reading info on the internet I cannot find an appropriate rod for my needs. I need a rod suitable or even capable of casting 10 to 30 OUNCES of sinker/bait from shore. Even Heavy action Catfish rods and Surf rods are only rated to a max of about 10 ounces. So what rods out there are best for throwing a 4 ounce sinker plus a 16 ounce bait (20 ounces)? OR even a 3 ounce sinker with 8 ounce bait (11 ounces)?
    I realize that casting such a heavy rig is asking a lot from a rod, but I know that there are lots of us out there who do it. I think that many catfishermen are making do with rods rated to 2 or 4 ounces, that only covers my sinker.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Scott, Might I suggest that you get it touch with Jim Gator of Gator Custom Rods. the Man Makes some of the Best custom Rods that are to be had. and he is also a sponsor of the BOC and a Member. I'll just bet he can answer your questions and be of great help, and also build you a rod to serve Your needs that is not only what Your looking for and will LAST You a Lifetime. I hope this helps Your Friend and BOC. Brother. J.D.
    :smile2:

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    do a search on the net for saltwater surf rods and try and find Tica, or Okuma surf rods. they both make some really super heavy action rods that are under $80 each. also bass pro carries a rod, think its called ocean master or something and man that thing is a brute, i think its casting weight was 10 or 12 ounces.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yeah, Good thinkin' I was thinking freshwater but a saltwater type surfbeast or maybe something of that nature.

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Scott, I have an Ugly Stick Tiger Rod, medium heavy action 7 ft. They only rate the lure wt. at 8 oz. but I cast an 8 oz sinker with huge baits with mine and it does it without breaking a sweat. I'm not sure how much wt you could throw with it but I know it will handle well over a pound, I'd say close to two maybe. They sell for around $60.00. I imagine a big saltwater rod is going to run you quite a bit more than that but I don't know. You could start a new thread mentioning the Tiger Rod specifically in the title and I bet you'll get lot's of guys posting up about it that can tell you more than I can.. I haven't had mine long but I love it, best catfish rod I've ever owned , like it so much I ordered another one just last night. Will get one more when I can afford it.

7. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
  8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stik tiger medium heavy action will throw any sinker and bait you can pick up.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Scott, I read in the Catfish In-sider a few years ago about a guy that caught a state record 98lb blue. In the article he said he used shakespeare sturdy stiks in heavy action cause they would cast his 16 oz of lead plus a large bait and sold for under 20 dollars. He also said they were way under rated on the amount of weight they could cast. This guy fished in the miss. in heavy current from a boat. So I don't know how they would cast from the bank, but the guy swore by them. I use E-cat #4s and BOSS #4s. I can cast 20 oz with both just not very far. I'm not trying to cast across the river anyway they do the job for me. But I've always wanted to try one of those sturdy stiks. They have them at catfish connection. I haven't seen them anywhere else.

10. GilbertBassRookie

GilbertBassRookie New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Great information on this topic. Thank you everyone!

11. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Give Gator a try he can build you one very reasonable, I use Penn tuna sticks when I use that big a weight and bait.

12. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i have a 10 foot heavy action catmaxx and i regularly throw 10 oz of lead and atleast 16 oz carp, that actually seems to be a good weight for it because it loads the rod well when casting. otherwise it is very stiff, but very good for very big bait.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would get the bass pro catmaxx rod heavy action.i plan on getting 2 of them my self

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion:

I'd suggest a rod with a long but for added leverage, CASTING.

How much weight can a baitcaster cast without your thumb not holding the line tight, without slippage?????

Your on the right track on the LUE WEIGHT!!!!!!