help finding fish???

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by foodsaver, Aug 11, 2008.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I came up to Virginia from TN to do a little bit of fishing with my dad. I haven't been on the James River in 10 years or more and was wondering if yall might have any tips to find bait/fish around Dutch Gap or hopewell. Any help at all would be much appreciated and if any of yall want to come down to TN I'll be glad to share some spots with you!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I know where they were in the spring.... Use your depth finder, those shad are BIG. We put in just down from the power plant (Dutch Gap?). In the evening we threw a cast net and got some small ones. Early early in the morning (5:30) we ran downstream to the first trib on the right and dropped a gill net back in there. First cove to the left we dropped a gill net back in there too. Best I can tell you is get up early.

Good Luck,
    Shawn(OH)

3. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I appreciate it!

4. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    where from TN are you from craig?

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey Craig, I didn't even realize it was you. I bought one of your foodsavers a while back. Do you sell the plastic stuff or do I just get it at the grocery store? Good to see you.

Shawn

6. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I actually grew up here in Virginia but I haven't been on the James in a very long time! I hail from chattanooga for the time being and really enjoy the fishing down there.