help finding a spot to fish from the bank on james river

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by aborant, Jul 27, 2020.

1. aborant

aborant New Member

State:
    VA
    Name:
    Jessie
    Was wondering if anybody knew of a place to fish from the bank on james river. I have never been there. Need a spot for a family of 5. Not really looking for monsters. Just looking to catch some eating size cats. My oldest son is getting ready to leave for college at the end of August and wanted to fish the James before he goes. Anybody know of anywhere I would greatly appreciate some help. We are looking to make it like a weekend fishing trip. So somewhere we could fish during day and night.

ramon06 likes this.
  2. Chi-townDave

Chi-townDave Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    David
    Good morning Jessie. I would suggest Ancarrow's Landing near downtown. Google it and Google Maps will take you straight there. There are quite a few spots along that shoreline. I have had great success there and you can catch a mixture of eaters and bigger size fish. Belle Isle is a good place as well but it's a hike with gear. You can also fish across from Ancarrow's on a concrete wall off of Rocket's Landing and there is shoreline at the Shiplock channel. Hope this helps.

ramon06 likes this.

3. aborant

aborant New Member

State:
    VA
    Name:
    Jessie
    Thanks so much Dave. I think we might plan a trip to Ancarrow's Landing. It would be a nice family outing before our first kid goes off to college. Was wondering what size weights would I need to fish there? Thanks again!!

ramon06 likes this.
  4. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    i'll suggest dutch gap . there's a trail that goes from the boat landing at the power plant down to the park and there's plenty of places along it to fish and deeper water .

ramon06 likes this.
  5. Chi-townDave

Chi-townDave Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    David
    I would use at least 5 oz bank sinkers at Ancarrow's Landing. Use Carolina rigs with sinker slides if you can. If you don't know how to set that up any of the local bait shops can show you how.

Dutch Gap is also a great place. Forgot about that for some reason. You probably have potential for bigger fish there.

ramon06 and JeffB1961 like this.
  6. aborant

aborant New Member

State:
    VA
    Name:
    Jessie
    Thank both of you guys for all the help. Maybe we will go one place one day and the other the second day. Really appreciate all the info.

ramon06, JeffB1961 and Chi-townDave like this.
  7. Rodpitt

Rodpitt Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would suggest Dutch gap as well. For a group of five, there is plenty of beach along the river to spread out. With a decent rod you can reach the channel.

City point in Hopewell is another good spot for a family.

ramon06 and JeffB1961 like this.
  8. aborant

aborant New Member

State:
    VA
    Name:
    Jessie
    When you say plenty of beach along the river where exactly are you talking about at Dutch Gap? Sorry, I have never been there so was just trying to get an idea. We are headed there this weekend to give it a try.

ramon06 likes this.
  9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    441 Coxendale Rd, Chester, VA

To the right of the ramp, you can fish that entire side almost half a mile. There's also a couple spots to the left but I don't believe there's much casting space. I used to fish the right side exclusively before I bought a boat. You also can pull into henricus and walk down to the dock and fish there as well. Ive seen people bank fish the barge pitts as well but I never found that trail

JeffB1961 likes this.
  10. aborant

aborant New Member

State:
    VA
    Name:
    Jessie
    Well took the trip to Dutch Gap this weekend. Lol....should have picked a different weekend. We left the house and got down there late Friday. Spent the night at the hotel and got up the next morning and headed to Dutch Gap. Went to the right of the boat ramp and threw out the poles. With in 15 minutes had two small ones. Then then wife and daughter went to walmart while me and the two boys were fishing. About 5 minutes after they left the rain started to come down. We Kept fishing as the rain hammered down.
    finally after about an hour in the pouring rain wife shows back up to 3 drowned rats. Was going to go back home but decided to stay another night and give it another shot in the morning. Went this morning and fished from about 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. We caught 4 decent size cats and seen a couple next to us catch a gar. Watched the lady try to take it off hook with plyers and it flopped and scared her and she threw the plyers in the water. Finally went and took the hook out for them. With all that we had a awesome time this weekend before my son heads off to UVA to wrestle. Just want to thank everybody that helped with information on here. Had a wonderful weekend thanks to you guys!!! I forgot that oldest son caught a crab with his pole also. Here are some pics.

IMG_6854.JPG IMG_6855.JPG IMG_6859.JPG IMG_6865.JPG IMG_6872.JPG IMG_6888.JPG IMG_6895.JPG IMG_6906.JPG IMG_6909[1].JPG

11. Chi-townDave

Chi-townDave Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    David
    Looks like you guys had an awesome time! It's always nice to head out to the bank and wet some lines with the family. Thanks for the report and the awesome photos!

ramon06 likes this.
  12. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    Despite the conditions, it looks like you and the family had a great time. Hope next time is better

13. aborant

aborant New Member

State:
    VA
    Name:
    Jessie
    Even though the conditions weren't that great the first day we still had Lots of fun. We made some memories that will last a life time. Thanks once again to all the help that you guys provided!!

ramon06 likes this.