Help finding a place to catch skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by GUP, Jul 24, 2008.

1. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Hello all. I am hoping one of you Tennessee gentlemen would be willing to share some information. My friend and I are planning a trip on Aug 9th to go somewhere (KY or TN) and try to catch some skipjack. Hopefully we can catch enough to last about a year for the two of us. I have heard that Tennessee has a good population. Would anyone be willing to give a helping hand and give me some tips on where to go?

Thanks in advance,
    Gup

2. fekum

fekum New Member

State:
    PA
    I live in Clarksville and the only place I have found to catch skipjack around here is at the Cumberland city Steam plant. Last summer, they were pulling them in sometimes 3 at a time. Good luck!

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wish I could help you but I have had trouble finding them myself. Made a trip to Pickwick and Wheeler dam Monday and never got a bite. Maybe someone knows something I don't but you'll more than likely have a hard time during that part of the year. Good luck to you.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The skips are normally pretty good at the steam plant, but I don't know about this time of year

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually catch them at Old Hick dam or at Chutes Branch..They have been rather slow..Its usually early spring when we catch them by the boatloads..I've probably been averaging 4 or 5 skippies, usually late evening time..Just enough to use for the night..

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know, this late in the year. I hear there's not a lot of water flow on the Tennessee River, and current is the key to lots of skipjack. The best time to stock up at Pickwick is late April/early May. I like to trailer a freezer over, and get them frozen quickly as possible, but I can't do that very often.

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I catch mine below Pickwick, but I have not tried since the spring, maybe I can give you a better report soon. The last couple times I have been not a lot of skip action going on that I can remember.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They have far and few between, like everybody has said spring is good and if we had been getting some more rain I can catch them all summer below about any dam but this summer and last summer have been no good.

9. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    BELOW THE CORDELL HULL DAM IN CARTHAGE!! BEEN ABOUT A MONTH SINCE IVE BEEN BUT EARLY MORNING WE CAUGHT ABOUT 80 WITHIN ABOUT AN HOUR!!!

10. k_ro_jr

k_ro_jr New Member

State:
    Carthage, Tn
    chad is right, I can't remember a time I have been to the Cordell Hull dam and have not caught skipjack, as long as they are generating, which they have not been doing lately, check here for releases http://tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.