Help finding a fur farm

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by lagarto, Mar 8, 2007.

1. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here's the deal-I live in N Florida, where I have a license (and farm) to breed alligators (i only do a few at the moment). I used to import tortoises (reptiles) for a few years, and did a trade for some Silver fox. Every year now, I produce anywhere from 4-10 pups with the potential for more (stock originated in Michigan i was told), and have been bottle feeding, selling around in the state for pets (they are stinky pets). What I'd REALLY liike to do is find someone who would buy them NOT bottle fed=not tame, and I don't mind them being raised for pelts or breeders-whatever (I grew up a trapper in Iowa). Every summer I drive to the midwest to see my parents, so I would like to find someone on the way or surrounding to drop them off with that would like well weaned delivered pups that I don't have to bottle feed-I can usually easily sell females here (for some reason), and I keep white ones; you'd be looking at gettinga min of 4++ blackish males @ approx. 100$ each*--I sell bottle fed babies for 175$ here, but my feeder (wife) is now working. I don't ship mammals, but finding a way to contact fur farmers is difficult, but understandable considering animals rights peoples' harrassment of them (I get it too for reptiles of all things!) Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a classified, just seems like the only place i can find to look for an arrangement with a northern fur farmer, short of advertising in Fur-Fish-Game (which will be my next move). Otherwise, i'm going to keep the ones I have and quit breeding them, but seems like someone between here and iowa might need them, delivered as well. I am NOT interested in anything but selling all in one delivery/shot, and I'm looking for an every-year-I-bring-you-them sort of a deal, *prices are mentioned but negotiable if we can work something out. As with the fur farmers, I am very cautious about who I discuss this with, so please don't be insulted if I pry a little before giving out specifics..thanks!

2. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you check in the back of like fur fish and game there are usually folks selling the live animals . I know of one place is in Guttenberg Iowa I think . Most folks are real picky in buying breeders . Also check the laws on crossing state lines with live animals . The Lacey act has big teeth .

Pete

3. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks--I'm very familiar with all the laws, looks like it's going to turn int a "not bred' situation most likely, which is OK, apparently fox pelts aren't worth that much anymore, was a time when these guys would have been deveral thousand dollars.

4. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was looking at a NAFA auction report from last months sale I think . They had a couple silver fox on it for around $120 am thinking . Breeders would bring much more I am sure specially if had the right bloodlines .

Seems the PC crowd has done a lot of damage to a once flourishing business .

Drifter

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    whats realy killed the fur bussiness is fake fur.when a lady can buy a fake mink for 250 to 350 shes not likly to pay 1600 to 2000.the only one who can tell the dif. is the guy who made it.i sure do miss the days of 30 dollar coon and 40 dollar mink.johnnie