Help, do I need to do anything specific for dirt hole and cubby set traps!?????

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, Jul 2, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    help guys. i hear you guys talking about dirt traps and cubby sets! well im wondering if i need a specific trap to use and specefic places to set it! is it one of the more tough situations because at that pond i talked about earlier, well i saw a BUNCH of coons around by the dump part of the pond! about 20 to 30 coons were there. so i need to know some information here!

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    coons are one of the most easest, to catch, one way is to get you a forked stick and wind some grass in a ball in fork this does not have to be big, put grass about two inches above water .and stick about, 10 inches out in water and put trap between it and shore, but lure on grass, you can also just put a dead stick in water, and do the same, grass gives them some thing to look at.
    a small hole made in bank, put lure and,, or bait in hole, with trap in front,
    1.5 and # 11 are good coon traps, their are many other sets that will also take coons, this is some thing simple and can be done on the spot and not carry any thing but traps and lure, best thing I can tell you is to studie, where they walk and go and set your trap, their like around a old stump or rock, this applys to all animals, to get good you have to understand your animal, somewhat.
    Hoes this helps
    Jim

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tony, gooboy made a post about "Homemade coon bait", and there's some info in it you could apply to your situation. Give the PVC set a try. There's another set mentioned with an "arm-sized" stick notched with a chainsaw, but you could improvise & drill a few large (1-1.25") holes in it with a woodbit (to stuff your bait into).

As mentioned, the #1.5 coil or longspring, #11 (which is a double longspring), and also a #1 coil are all good coon traps.

Keep in mind too that coon don't spend all their time at the water. Many bigger (bachelor) boar coon are caught quite a distance from water. I catch several a year in my coyote sets.

Smitty

4. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
  5. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    sounds good but i saw em in the junk part of the pond about 100 yards from the water! if that applys to far away from water! :lol:

6. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sometimes coons are so easy to catch it's unreal. When we trapped the river our basic set was to use a stick to poke a hole in the bank near the waters edge, put some lure in it and set the trap in the water close to the set. This set just plays on the coons basic nature. If he smells the lure, he can't help himself, he HAS to get in the water and feel around. It's a quick set and works extremely well. We used this set mostly for week end trapping, go in Sat., set 100 traps, and pull them on Sun.

Another thing we would do is a similar set near shallow clear water. We would slip a bobby pin into a light colored rubber crawfish and slip that onto the trap pan. We've caught coon and mink in this set with both front feet in the trap. I think that they see the crawfish and jump on it. We used this set alot in streams that has clear running water.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've also just wrapped tin foil on the pan and set it in the water on a drowner for coon and if they're very far from the pond use some fish oil and make a trail to the water, They'll follow it. I snare a lot of coon in the runs along the creeks and around the ponds, use a jump stick over the snare to keep dogs or deer out of them. That is if snares are legal where you live. You can carry a bunch of snares in your pockets or a trapping bag or bucket with some wire and a pair of pliers.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Grew up in Ia. and use to trap a lot. Set many bank hole sets w/carp heads and fish oil squirted around it. Used 1 and 1/2 double coil springs and caught lots of coons. Set blind sets also mainly. Finally got tired of luggin traps and getting them ripped off and switched to snares. Best thing I ever did. Not sure of the snare laws there now but if there still legal I would recomend you give them a try.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Dirt hole sets take too much time (to do right) and are better suited for coyotes,fox, and cats. As Jim said coons are fairly easy to catch compared to these others. I have set up dirt holes to catch big boar coons but they are usally multi purpose sets not just for coons.

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not necessarily (lol, and not trying to be argumentitive)....a dirthole can be the size of a mouse-hole & can be made in a matter of seconds. I use cablestakes, and many times use the driver to poke into the ground, wobble around alittle & have a 1" hole as deep as I want.

There are also dirthole "punches" available to do the same thing. Push or pound it into the ground, pull it out & you have a dirthole. The diameter depends of course on the size of material the punch was constructed of.

A dirthole can take a wide range of animals. I've caught squirrels, rabbits, grinners, stinkers, coon, fox, coyote in them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/Trapping%20Supplies/DHpun2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/Trapping%20Supplies/DH-punch.jpg

Smitty

11. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i dont know about laws and regulations in iowa, but in illinois my coon footholds just hang and gather rust cuz all i use anymore are 220 connibears. sounds to me like u got a perfect place to use them too. i love trappin dump piles cuz i can het away with about anything and a coon wont care. i would just take a 5 gallon bucket and make cuts with a sawzaw on either side of the openning of your bucket so u can fit your springs in and slide that set trap right back in the bucket a couple inches. i stake my bucket and i put a stake thru both coils of my springs and the coon will be there in the mornin. just throw a couple marshmallows in the back of the bucket and u will have fur to skin.

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here are a few pics of the bucket set Bobby mentioned. I use a hole-saw to make the radiused holes, then a sawzall to cut from the open end of the bucket into the hole I'd initially cut.

This is the cut-out for the 220 springs to fit into.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/traps/bkt2.jpg

I use a rebar stake through the back of the bucket to prevent the bucket from rolling. Some trappers use "feet" on them to do the same thing, but this way, I can stack the buckets inside each other. I also make a basket out of hardwarecloth to help keep the mice & birds out of it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/traps/bkt3.jpg

Here is a pic with the trap set into the bucket. I put rebar stake (which wasn't driven all the way in for this pic) through the chain loop to stake the trap.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/traps/bktset1.jpg

Smitty