Help Coming to Richmond on May 18

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bigones, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brothers, My wife and I are going to be moving down to richmond in august my wifes job is transfering there. They are flying us out there on may 18 to chech the place out. I was wondering if yall could give me directions to a good hole I could fish at night while I am down there. I can't wait to move I have heard so much about the James river and now I am going to be living by it. I hope yall can help I would love to spend a a night or two down there fishing. The wifes not going to be to happy about it maybe she will like it a little more if she hooks into one of those monster blues. Thanks

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    welcome to virginia bro....richmond ain't that far away from me so maybe we could hookup in the future

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Find the Deep Bottom boat ramp and talk to the boat fisherman there. They can hook you up. You are one lucky son of a gun!

4. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where abouts is the deep water boat ramp? I don't anything about richmond or any of virginia for that matter.

5. mattaponicat74

mattaponicat74 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to Virginia!! I am yet to fish the James River but i know i have a blast on the mattaponi fighting them big blues!! The mattaponi is overlooked by many because of the James but fish in the 20-40 lb range are rather common. When you come down look me up....ill take ya to the mattaponi:smile2:

6. egcole1

egcole1 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    #1- Virginia Power plant. I have caught some monsters behind the plant. You really need a boat, though. I'm about 50 miles down the road, so I can't tell you a great pier/shore to fish from. Grab some bluegill from the shore and throw them out as far as you can on the cat pole.

#2- Chickahominy River. It feeds off the James. Man, these are the biggest cats I have ever seen....and I used to fish out of the Mississippi!!!! Bluegill still works great, but ask around the bait shops for some fresh water eel. They tend to bring some big ones in. The cool thing is that these waters have been around since the beginning of America, and the catfish show it.

Good luck.

Eric

7. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    hey man i cant help u on any spots im just getting to ready to check that spot out this summer i just wanted to say welcome to virginia

8. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well thanks brothers guess nobody is from right around that area. I am sure I can find a decent spot just don't have much time to scout. Where is that power plant at? That sounds like a good place. Also do yall have skipjack overthere? I am kinda affraid to take my rod's & reels on the plane when they see the size of my 10/0 kahle hooks they are going to think I am a terrorist. Maybe I should buy hooks down there.

9. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
  10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to Virginia. You really can't go wrong anywhere around there. Go to Wal Mart and get the Virginia Gazetteer. It's a book of topo maps with every road, even dirt roads and jeep tracks in it. You'll be fishing like a pro in no time. Anywhere on that part of the James is great. A guy I know just caught a 69# Blue out of the James in Hopewell, just upstream from Richmond. Go to the first Bait and tackle you see and they will guide you to some fantastic places.