Help Cleaning Up a Penn Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whiskers77, May 26, 2007.

1. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I recently found a Penn baitcaster reel that I had bought about 6 years ago for a saltwater trip that I was going on. The mistake that I made was that I never washed off the reel after returning from the trip and to make matters worse I put the reel away in a box and ended up forgetting that I had it. The reel has oxidation on it from the sea salt spray and I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it up. It's a really nice reel and has only been used a couple of times, I'd really like to clean it up and start using it again but I'm not sure how to go about removing the oxidation without damaging the reel. Any advice is appreciated. I'm not sure what model the reel is I'm not at home right now and I forgot to check last night.

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Call the police and go ahead and turn yourself in, 'cause I'm sure that's got to be illlegal. Neglecting a reel like that - Gah! :smile2:

This is all guessing, now, keep that in mind. First, take it apart and boil it to clean the old gunk and grease out of it. (only the hard parts, of course) Then, while you still have it apart, maybe try some REAL fine sandpaper to smooth the line guide back off. Depending on the severity of the damage, you may can use something like a SOS pad. And give it a good oiling before you put it back together. I can't see this reel, and don't know how bad it is, but this may help. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It would help if you would tell us what reel reel you are working with and if you are comfortable with completely disassembling the reel.
    Jake

4. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    When I get home from work tonight I'll check and see what model the reel is and post it here. I never have completely disassembled a reel before but I'm willing to it as long as I don't destroy the reel.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use concentrated "Simple Green or Greased Lightning" to clean reels.I spray the parts in a stainless or ceramic bowl and let set overnight.I scrub parts with a tooth brush.I scrape parts as needed with flat wooden toothpicks found in the grocery stores and also the plastic types with a 45 degree ell that I find in a Clear plastic box in the tooth products in the drug department of a store.They are hard enough to clean but soft enough that they don't damage.The wooden ones also make great oilers and greasers as you can dip one end in the lube and put the small amount right where you want it.I also use oooo (4 ought) steel wool for polishing which I also use wrapped on the end of a roughed up 3/8 inch dowel rod stuck in a 3/8 inch drill for cleaning and polishing the inside of the barrels of my shot guns.I haver never tried boiling,but it sounds good.I wonder if he adds a cleaner to the water? Please remember that "OVER LUBE" is often a major problem with reels!It is a worse problem now with all of the "exotic" lubes out now.Many are designed to travel,which is great in many applications,but can kill a reel.Many lubes are also hard or impossible to remove out of certain things.I wish you the best of luck.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I took a little bit of a closer look and the reel is a Penn 500 Gmaster. Thanks to everyone so far for their help and advice.

7. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you only used it once, depending on the severity of the corrosion, you may get away with using toothpaste (yes, toothpaste). I've bought reels that had minor saltwater corrosion, and wanted the most gently way possible to remove it. Might be worth a try first. Use the toothpaste like car wax, spread it on, allow to dry slightly, and buff off. If it's a little more severe corrosion, I use lime away, or some of the items mentioned in the other replys. Wouldn't use CLR, though. It will take off the corrosion, but will also lift up a little extra chrome as well.
    Dave

8. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh, my reply was for cleaning the chrome only. Wouldn't clean gears, etc with toothpaste:smile2:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    WD-40 and a tooth brush worked pretty good on a 209 a friend gave me to fix it looked liked it had been used in the salt and never cleened for 10 years