help choosing a shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Shenandoah, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I want a shotgun a remington 870 12gauge. I want to use it for ducks geese and turkey. I don't want nothing fancy just a black synthetic stock and I'd like to be able to shoot 3 1/2 in it but thats not necessary I'd be fine with 2 3/4 and 3. I'm having difficulties on remingtons website finding options. I'd like to keep my price at 300 or less and no more than 400. What kind of model should I be looking at? Any suggestions? If you can suggest websites with pictures that would be great thanks.

2. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the 870 express or express mag with the synthetic stock would be ok. For ducks and geese, you will want the 28 or 26 inch barrel. I would think you could get away with the 26 inch barrel for turkey or maybe get an aftermarket. If you think deer may be in the future, look at the deer combos with the 26 inch and slug barrel.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    870 super magnum express will shoot the 3 1/2 shell.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im not much of a turkey or goose hunter but Id look at a semi auto if you can swing it and/or the deer combo if you have any thought of deer hunting. I wish Id a got the combo instead of the reg 870 express 12 gauge. The barrel now is more than I paid for the gun new.

5. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've already got a semi auto 12 and I don't need it for slugs. I just want it to shoot a pump

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd go with the 870 express combo. You get the longer barrel that shoots 3 inch, which is really all you need and you have a rifle sighted barrel for slugs and deer. You might be able to get it with the rifle sight barrel with the rem chokes so you can use the choke for slugs, or put the turkey choke in it and have rifle sights for either one. If not, you can just get the rifle sight barrel threaded by a gunsmith later for the chokes.

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The remington express is what you will want if youare trying to stay under 400. Go to any good gun dealer and he will beable to price you a gun. Problem with a express combo is that the wholesale cost is around 400. Then the dealer will have to make a profit to keep the doors open.

Hope this helps.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Why give up a semi auto for a pump? The difference in recoil is appreciable between the two. If I were shooting a 3" auto,I dang sure wouldn't want a pump.

9. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I too would go with the 3" I wish my pump shotgun was a 3" and that i could find a slug barrel for it

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    look on gunbroker.com anything you want there

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Jason, Academy Sports + Outdoors offering Remington 870 Express 249.99,
    Remington 870 Express Supermag 329.99 both prices after 30.00 mfg.
    mail-in rebate.

12. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    there's no shotgun thats more reliable. I can modify it many ways, and parts are easy to find and cheaper than other models. Easy maintenance. I've shot 870s alot just never owned them and never considered the recoil a problem and with an ammo sleave on the stock I can cycle about 8 shots in about 10 seconds. Plus I just love shooting a pump more than my semi auto

13. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm an 870 guy. I've heard some cycling problems with semi autos in cold weather. Brownings, Win, Remingtons all of them. I'm talking 25 degrees or less. I've known a couple guys that missed out on personal best deer because of it. Both switched to pump guns. I know the semis are big waterfowl guns, but I think it's more of an issue when you sit out for long periods in unprotected stands rather than frequent use out of a blind. You can tell when a pump cycles properly.

With my vision getting worse I had my gunsmith machine a scope mount on my trusty 870 at the end of last season. Never been a scope fan for shots under 100yds but you gotta do what works.

14. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's my two cents worth, Regardless of how much you spend if the gun doesn't fit you, you will not shoot well. 870s are famous for reliability and decent patterns and I have several friends that shoot them well, but the drop of the comb is too high for my face. I cannot shoot a Remington well unless I conciously force my eye lower to the stock. I shoot a Benelli Nova and love it, it is reliable, throws respectable patterns and most importantly it fits. The best way I've found to check cheek weld fit is to pick up and shoulder the gun with your eyes closed. When you open them you should only see the bead, if you see a lengthy section of rib then the comb may be too high. Inversly if you see the back of the receiver and not the bead or the bead is obstructed, then the comb would be too low. Most major manufacturers produce quality equipment and you should do well with any of the big names just be certain the gun fits your physique.

15. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I just traded off a #.5 inch Baikal auto. Why? For most of the last season it made me crazy. It'd fire and eject the empty, and feed a new round into the magazine. It wouldn't cock the hammer though. Gunsmith near here traded me a nice 20 ga. over-under for it.
    My go to gun is a Benelli Nova. I bought it because the gun shop was closing and got it for a great price.
    I would definitely get the 870 Express Super Mag. Remington has the pump guns down pat. And having the 3.5 inch chamber is sure handy when you need extra punch. Mu Nova sees around 600 rounds of 3.5" steel every season and it just works. Goes boom every time I pull the trigger. Cold weather has never failed me. I can't say that for autos.

16. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I got the 870 express for 269 and gander mountain. Now I'm looking for some chokes to go with it. I think the undertaker will be fine for turkeys, am I right in thinking that it will be fine for predators as well? And any advice for a waterfowl choke? Geese and ducks?