Help - catfish population in my pond

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by elshale, Aug 24, 2006.

1. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Ok I have a 4 acre pond in my back yard. The left 1/3 of it is 2 feet deep, the middle third doesnt get any deeper than 8 - 10 feet which which sloaps to that depth pretty quickly from both sides and then the right 1/3 is about 15 - 20 feet and is deep frm end to end to form kind of an under water T shape. I am in ga so the water get lots of rain, has an under water spring and is pretty warm to the touch. I have caught lots of nice bream, in the spring quite a few bass about a pound or less, and also during the spring I slew a gross of crappie which are spawning in the pond. Last year I caught off of different baits 3 12 - 15lbs channel cats my brother in law caught a pan sized channel and my nephew caught what looked like a 1lbs flathead. But I am not certain had underbite and was tan. This year I have caught squat for cats and I CPR them all. What do you think the deal is and what can I do to change this. I see lots of minnows, tadpoles, frogs. For these fish to eat so why is the cat population so crapy?

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It sounds like you have great access to a great place to fish; man, you are making me envious! :big_smile:

What is the bottom like? Are there enough bottom features, snags, and the like? Is there shelter in the shallows? From the other descriptions, it seems to me that most of the requirements are in place.

It's good that you are keeping the crappie and bream in check.

3. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    I have cut down alot of busshes and small trees in my yard and have sunk them for fish attractors. And there are docks over hanging trees and bushes most of the way around. Should I not be fishing them bottom or at what depth is there oxygen loss is that even a factor.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Catfish will be the most oxygen-tolerant specie of the ones that you listed as being in the pond. So I wouldn't worry about that.

In ponds, I would suspect that catfish could be underpopulated for reproduction. You might want to (re)stock to make certain that you have a good mix of males and females.

If this isn't the problem, the catfish could be a little finicky in their food selection over large lake and river cousins.

Or maybe they are hanging out back in that spring, keeping cool! :lol:

Seriously, we have a small WMA lake that is stocked with trout nearby that just can't seem to sustain a strong catfish population; so there are probably similarities here.

Good luck with this one!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One of your problems is the crappie. In a pond that size there will be a gazillion crappie, and they will be stunted. They have to eat...there goes your catfish eggs. All the fish you mentioned are, I believe, heavy spawners and it will not take long to have abunch of them in your pond. You have to get rid of so many eaters - give the eggs a chance to hatch. Provide a lot of structure for the small fry. Watch the crappie closely-they will take over.

6. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    So the Crappie are the reason I have a mostly only 1lbs bass and not catfish. It seems there is tones of food in the lake. How many fish do youthink I hsould harvest I have tons of bluegills are they causing any problems you think.

7. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i had access to a lake like that and when things started going small. i started through the small ones to the bank. after about one year the fish got bigger and was taking home a limited amount each year. plus there mite not be enoght nesting site for the cats. try through in some tires i heard the use them for nesting sites.

8. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Crappie are tough on eggs. Any of them. They are the #1 eater of catfish and bass eggs. Perch (bluegills) are a close 2nd. As for all of them being small, might be time to remove a few. I don't know the laws where you are from, but if I had access to that I would have some loaded bait tanks! Crappie and perch. I would be in bait heaven.

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Like posted earlier, you might throw in some old tires or sink some small plastic barrels for the cats to spawn and hide in. Definitely try and get rid of some of the crappie and gills or put in more cats to slow down their population. Like mentioned, gills and crappies will take over.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    As far as catching catfish in there, I'd slap some DK's or Sonny's under a bobber and fish it 3-4 foot deep on that slope.. IF there are channels in there, they'll hit.. Personally, I slay channels on stink bait in ponds, larger lakes around here the bite is spotty on it.. I prefer to use cut shad in larger bodies of water.... Shrimp is always a great bait as well...

I'd fish the deeper water during daylight hours and shallower water as the nite comes on...

11. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Yeah this sprint I was hitting alot of 3/4 to 1 lbs crappie out of there and fried quite a few up ummm ummm. The bream are a pretty good size but how would I know if there are to many bream they are supposedly the main food source of the pond right?

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have been told that catfish won't reproduce in a pond . I always assumed it meant small areas of water ,has anyone else heard of this?

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'd be curious to know the answer to that one also.

14. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I also have heard that catfish will not spawn in a pond that they require moving water for some reason if anyone has a definative answer on this I would like to know what the true answer is :cool2:

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

You may also consider putting a few larger catfish in that could "enjoy" thoses bigger bream and have a big fish fry to get the crappie population down. I don't know for sure about catfish spawning in a pond but I know our stack ponds growing up had only been stoked twice and we had all sizes of catfish in ours. But we culled a lot of bream from them also.

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    put a few flatties in there they will get that crappie and bream population down.

17. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I think you need to get some 8 or 10" clay tiles or concrete pipes in 2 - 4' lengths and drop them in the 2 - 6' deep part of the pond. Catfish require holes or hollows to spawn. I don't think its the size of the water, but the lack of spawning places.

18. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Several people have spotted the problem I believe, the Crappie.
    I know ithe Illinois DNR recomends not to stock Crrappie in less than a 10 acre lake, because of the stunt growth problem and the fact that they will over poulate and eat the other fish eggs.
    Catfish will raise in a pond, I have a friend that has a 6 acre pond and every 5 or 6 years we seine it to get the smaller catfish out because they get over populated. Folks come with horse tanks to take them to their lakes.

19. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I'm with Joel on this one, the crappie are eating the eggs. So have a crappie fry, then Replenish your cats. good luck with your pond

20. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my buddy has a pond and they went online and got the right ratios of pan fish to cat fish and so on for there pond,they also hand feed the fish also,and the fish keep growing and growing.with the right mix of fish.they will take care of them selves as far as reproducing and downsizing.I hope this helps.Good luck